How important is the length of a game to you?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:53 am

if it's free, i don't care at all. if it costs money, i'll rent it if it's too short.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:00 am

[quote="dfyb":2rg7ldvj]if it's free, i don't care at all. if it costs money, i'll rent it if it's too short.[/quote:2rg7ldvj]

Say the game lasts an hour if you know exactly how to beat it and costs 4.99 EUR.

And you can't rent it.

Would you buy it if it's a cool game? Would you pay 5 EUR for a cool experience?

One thing I'd love to see in the future are simpler, episodic games that really focus on story and character development - and to sell each episode for something cheap, like 5 bucks. I think that'd be a win / win.

You'd get to play a short, but great game for a small amount of cash and if you liked it and want to know how the story develops further / develop your character further, you get the new episode for another 5 quid.

Would that business model be attractive to anyone here?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:04 pm

[quote="thomasmahler":3hqt4tul]
Would you buy it if it's a cool game? Would you pay 5 EUR for a cool experience?

One thing I'd love to see in the future are simpler, episodic games that really focus on story and character development - and to sell each episode for something cheap, like 5 bucks. I think that'd be a win / win.

You'd get to play a short, but great game for a small amount of cash and if you liked it and want to know how the story develops further / develop your character further, you get the new episode for another 5 quid.

Would that business model be attractive to anyone here?[/quote:3hqt4tul]

yeah
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:29 pm

Portal.... ooooh yeah!

for most games i think it's better the longer it is, if it's a fun game to play (of course i also agree with what people have said about the quality of the game etc.) but i think portal is my favorite game, and it was short as hell. But then again, i wouldn't mind if it was longer.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:52 am

Portal was incredibly short, but it was still worth it BECAUSE it was sooooo replayable.

Games that have high replay value are considered (by me at least) to be a longer game...

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:38 am

Portal had a lot of re-play value? Really? It's a puzzler and once you solved the puzzles, you can just go through them again - but you already know the solution.

Do you mean in terms of speed runs / achievements?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:18 am

[quote="SoldjahBoy":h6ng8336]Portal was incredibly short, but it was still worth it BECAUSE it was sooooo replayable.

Games that have high replay value are considered (by me at least) to be a longer game...

~Sol[/quote:h6ng8336]
um... i played it once, and then i waited for half a year before i played it again, so that i would forget some of the puzzles. If there are secrets n stuff i haven't found them yet. But i still think it was worth it.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:44 pm

[quote="Attan":2scpvunh][quote="SoldjahBoy":2scpvunh]Portal was incredibly short, but it was still worth it BECAUSE it was sooooo replayable.[/quote:2scpvunh]

um... i played it once, and then i waited for half a year before i played it again, so that i would forget some of the puzzles[/quote:2scpvunh]

I agree, this is the only way in which Portal is replayable. It was a good game and all... just not one I would need to play again any time soon. There's not a lot of opportunity to change up your gameplay style in that game, unless you're a speed-runner trying to shave half a second off your best time or something. Which I'm not.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:21 pm

[quote="thomasmahler":mz1t7x3l]Portal had a lot of re-play value? Really? It's a puzzler and once you solved the puzzles, you can just go through them again - but you already know the solution.

Do you mean in terms of speed runs / achievements?[/quote:mz1t7x3l]

That's exactly what I mean... I got one level down to about 8 seconds... and found ways to break multiple other levels... pretty much what I would do if I had a potral gun in real life no?

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:29 pm

That's a little too hardcore for me :P
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic