How many events

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:10 pm

Hey guys, just wondering what's the highest number of events you've put into a game with Construct 2? I'm at about 300 with my current game and it's not even close to done -_-
B

Post » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:54 pm

Healer Quest, the game I just finished, is... 23015 events. ^^'
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:13 am

@Rable
Any video of the game?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:21 am

My game is 3943 events and that's just the engine so far and a couple of enemies and other things. I imagine mine's gonna be in the five or (most likely) six digits when it's done although our NPC scripts are stored in external files.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:27 am

@A0Nasser
Sure, I just put the preview trailer online : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9iQ3MY ... e=youtu.be
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:48 am

Rable wrote:Healer Quest, the game I just finished, is... 23015 events. ^^'

:shock: :o

Jaw = floor.
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:23 pm

@Rable , very nice hand drawn, crayon-look-like art! I like the look and the aesthetic a lot! Well done!
composer - multimedia artist
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:52 pm

eli0s wrote:@Rable , very nice hand drawn, crayon-look-like art! I like the look and the aesthetic a lot! Well done!

Thanks a lot for watching and for your kind words ! :)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:36 pm

Ahh the monthly "How many Events" thread.

I top at 2500 for a full Point and Click Adventure engine. Can create an entire Point & Click without any additional event code. It's all interpreted data from files and properties.

Also as a heads up. More Events does not make a larger game. Event counts should only represent the number of features. I could add an extra 10 hours to my point and click and never increase the code by 1 line. Also I find a lot of new dev just copy and paste entire event sheets or groups not realizing they can do good development by re-using objects with SOL.

I remember one fellow came in with 4k events. However upon examination he re-duplicated his code for each enemy, he also duplicated the event sheet for every layout level. Once we showed the fellow how to use SOL for object filtering and use Include event sheet. His code dropped to about to about 700 events.

Anyways. 2500 tops for me.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:53 pm

Also, more events is not obligatory a bad thing, if done right, for starters, one could think the number of events is a direct representation of performances, and that would be completely wrong, as the number of events is for the entire project, not for every single layout, and due to how event works, it is more than likely that if you code the right way (avoiding unnessecary work for the browser), the events really have an impact only when they are needed.

also, always prioritize in that order:
-organisation, first, never think "yeah, even if it is badly written, that is fine", and NEVER EVER think "if I organise it I might lose performances". Groups, Includes, functions, global and local variables, all neat tools you have at your disposal can help in some case.
-flexibility: can you make some parts of your code more flexible? if so, you should try, that may really helps in the long run
-use features, they are here for that, but don't overdo it. Sometimes I see people using features just for the sake of using them even when this is not the case where it is meant to be used (I will not talk about "lerping movement" again, but keep in mind that if a feature does what you want, use it, however if it is not it is meant to be used for, either do not use it or add a comment to be sure someone can read it correctly).
-reduce redundant code, functions and families are great for that for instance (might not reduce the actual number of events, but at least it will be cleaner).
-and last:performances, performanes should always be your last concern, you can optimise clean code every time you want, but dirty code is unusable.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General