How many Global Variables is too much?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:26 am

I would like to put global variables into global objects (sprite or something else). It is more easier to access, and easy to copy to other project.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:37 am

Personally, I'd love to see global variables get their own window, outside of the event sheets entirely, with additional support for sorting them into trees and branches. I usually end up putting all my global variables into a separate event sheet anyway, so they're out of the way (since they can't be put into groups), but then having to switch back and forth between that sheet becomes a bit of a chore. If we could have a window that can always be open, and easily arranged, that would save a whole lot of time.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:18 pm

GeometriX wrote:Personally, I'd love to see global variables get their own window, outside of the event sheets entirely, with additional support for sorting them into trees and branches. I usually end up putting all my global variables into a separate event sheet anyway, so they're out of the way (since they can't be put into groups), but then having to switch back and forth between that sheet becomes a bit of a chore. If we could have a window that can always be open, and easily arranged, that would save a whole lot of time.

Yeah, I do the same thing. This is definately a great suggestion. +100
If it can be done, someone on the web will show you how to do it!

CDASI Games Mentality Break Splat-a-bug FlapFleet Challenge
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:50 pm

GeometriX wrote:Personally, I'd love to see global variables get their own window, outside of the event sheets entirely, with additional support for sorting them into trees and branches. I usually end up putting all my global variables into a separate event sheet anyway, so they're out of the way (since they can't be put into groups), but then having to switch back and forth between that sheet becomes a bit of a chore. If we could have a window that can always be open, and easily arranged, that would save a whole lot of time.

+100 This would be awesome.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:57 am

+ 100 for organisation (and maybe to optimize and bug fix quickly and safely) ... like using groups / families
+ 0 for optimization / fsp / cpu memory render ...
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:06 pm

@matrixreal
Yeah dude, an "Event Variables" panel in the engine would be awesome, it would have globals, locals, and any object's instance variables currently used in that particular event sheet, all nested into a branching tree format. Oh that would be so helpful! Great suggestion matrixreal!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:09 pm

You could even click on them in that event variables panel and it would take you to the spot in the event sheet where the global resides. Particularly helpful when working with local variables as it would take you to the folder that it's nested in and there you go! Your codes right there, man the more I think about this I really wish construct 2 would add this to their engine. Again @matrixreal awesome idea!
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General