How many projects simultaneously?

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:01 pm

i work from 9 am to 6 pm so i only have one little proyect in which im learning step by step n_n
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:10 am

I just do one at a time.
For game jams, I stopped development on my main one until the game jam is completed.
Though I heard some people do two projects simultaneously to keep their motivation up.
I don't know how that works, but each to his own.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:08 am

Slowly working on one project. Unfortunately in the meantime I get ideas for other projects (at this moment there's six of them) and sometimes it gets difficult to focus.
My first game, Swingy Angie, available now on
Google Play and Opera Store

Let us honor the desire to work, for it is a movable holiday occuring up to three times a year.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:09 am

Same as Silverforce, I have a list with a few game ideas and I just take them one at a time. I'm on my first game at the moment..;)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:47 am

Thank everyone! :) When I did my first game with C2 -one month ago or so- I was focused on it, but it was a little project and I finished it in about 2 weeks. Also I'm already learning C2 so I'm going so slowly :)

Now I'm feeling the problem (or difficulty) is to maintance the focus only in one project, so I'm working in one long time project and in 2 short projects. I know how many important is to finish the projects and to have reasonables deadlines. Also because I'm learning just now and I need time because today I think I'm doing something right but tomorrow I'll kick myself (I don't now if this expression in english mean as in spanish: me tiraré de los pelos... :( )

Anyway I'm happy to know what do you thinks about ;)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:36 am

Well unfinishing projects is a big mistake everyone goes through i guess. You think about a great idea this day throw everything away after a week etc etc.

Especially as a beginner, this isn´t really a bad thing. You learn without "destroying" your big game project with unsuitable unintelligent code.
Check out our start-up and configure your own helmet in true 3D.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:58 pm

Normally i tend to switch projects quite a lot :( But normally only work on a few projects at the time. However im trying to focus on just one project now, that is by far the biggest i have taken on (currently 3109 events), so i think its a bit to much code to throw away as of now, and i still haven't lost complete control of it yet, which is one of the main reasons i sack projects. But also im still very excited about it, as its a type of game i used to play a long time ago and really enjoyed, but for some reason never seem to have been reinvented, not sure why, as they were really good.

But i think you can learn a lot from both doing big projects and small. Small projects are really good at learning some specific thing, where big projects, you learn a lot about organizing and structure and how to get lots of things to work together.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:20 am

Beaverlicious wrote:...Especially as a beginner, this isn´t really a bad thing. You learn without "destroying" your big game project with unsuitable unintelligent code.

Yes, I think so!! In fact, I'm delaying my main project because I don't want to make too many wrong code and every day I'm learning more and more :)

nimos100 wrote:...However im trying to focus on just one project now, that is by far the biggest i have taken on (currently 3109 events), so i think its a bit to much code to throw away as of now, and i still haven't lost complete control of it yet, which is one of the main reasons i sack projects. But also im still very excited about it, as its a type of game i used to play a long time ago and really enjoyed, but for some reason never seem to have been reinvented, not sure why, as they were really good.

wow! 3109 events!! curious about that type of game haha good luck with that!! ;)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:32 pm

wow! 3109 events!! curious about that type of game haha good luck with that!! ;)

I have tried to categorize it my self, and end up referring to it as a political/strategic tactical roleplaying game :). But besides just being another roleplaying game where the player make a character and kill a lot of monsters, the player are not as close connected to a single character, rather than a group of characters, 6 at the same time in total. Which each can have different classes, abilities. But also it uses skills more in a real roleplaying style manner that you would find it in a game like warhammer if you know that, so its not just skills that boost attacks, but also skills like lore, economics etc. That is more the roleplaying part. And its possible to craft your own spells and magic items, pretty much without any limits. So for instant the idea is that the player should be able to make a spell that could summon a wolf, that when killed could also explode and cause sleep to everything around it, should they want that...etc.

The political part of the game is that the player choose one of his character to also be the leader or king of his own city which they have to manage when it comes to trading, resources, expanding the city to making sure citizens have food, jobs, handling of crimes etc. Which means that the player also have the ability to make judgement whether people should be jailed or executed for whatever reason. Which again will impact certain citizens for the better or worse. You also have to make sure that your citizens have jobs, as it is through the salaries that they buy what they need, so you could give them a low salary, just enough to keep them satisfy but this also encourage them to make crimes, leave the city and so on. This is more the local management.

The game also uses a global political system, meaning that the player is under the rule of a supreme ruler, which decide the rules for all the empires. Kind of like how you would find it in Game of thrones. And depending on who sits on this throne will greatly impact how the game plays out, as this ruler also have the ability to execute the player if they don't obey the rules, resulting in the player having to choose a new leader as well. Since its not a war game in the sense of moving military units the player can support one of the other empires that might want to overthrow the current supreme ruler and take control for themselves. So the player also have to play on the right horse as it will not be ignored that they tried to support such thing. Since the game uses a life cycle for each empire, the leaders of other empires doesn't live for ever, but will eventually die due to ageing, getting killed etc, and each leader have behaviours that either suits the player or not. Such as the ruler might actually be Greedy of nature which would cause the player and the other empires to pay a huge amount of taxes. But as a leader can also live for a long time, it might be in the best interest of the player to try to support a more friendly minded leader to be this supreme leader.

Then there are global effects, such as plagues spreading through out the lands, conjured by some evil guy, which is a way to make quests, which again are randomly generated, from long legendary quests like killing a dragon and obtain a relic, to small go kill a bandit leader type of things.

Guess that more or less the overall idea, so its a quite huge project :D But at the moment the strategic part of the game works quite well, Character creation, trading, expanding the kingdom, crimes, citizen management, handling of empires etc. So hopefully I will manage to keep on track and not loose control :D
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:34 pm

Two. One active now, and one sleeping... (got bored) haha!
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas