How much money can you really make?

0 favourites
  • How much money do people typically make using construct 2?

Thanks!

• I have an app in the Play store, and it's still a beta app, where some features aren't working, and I have made a little over $100 so far from MoPub. Once I have another build available, it will have a PRO version and have IAPs. So the sky is the limit really. Just depends on your creativity and patience on making the game awesome. For all we know, Flappy Bird could have been created in Construct 2, and the guy was making $50k USD a day at one point from the game.

• taylork91 , I remember myself asking this question when I was younger. Well, Its depends. Till Now I didn't anything from Construct2 too far because I lack money to buy licenses. Well I'm only 14, I guess your an adult so maybe you can afford it i guess. To see more details see the Topic I made before

• However, keep in mind that depending on the license you have, you may have limitations (eg. The personnal license lets you make up to 5000$ as an individual, the personnal license can also be used by startups that have less than 5000 $ in their total earnings, look up the details of the license you have to know the limits as my description may be not accurate enough.)

• I have an app in the Play store, and it's still a beta app, where some features aren't working, and I have made a little over $100 so far from MoPub. Once I have another build available, it will have a PRO version and have IAPs. So the sky is the limit really. Just depends on your creativity and patience on making the game awesome. For all we know, Flappy Bird could have been created in Construct 2, and the guy was making $50k USD a day at one point from the game.

100 dollars per day ?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Questions like these are so dumb. Really what answer do you expect? You will make exactly $453.50.

The amount you can make depends on your skills, talents, resourcefulness, determination and luck.

• I have seen this question before. The sentiment I see repeated often is "Do not get into making games from a drive to, or expectation of, making lots of money. Go for it if it is something you love doing."

Most of what I make comes from ads in a screensaver/wallpaper app I made early on for iOS. I do not make much. It is not amazing, but I think it gets used because there are fewer of that type of app available. Likewise, my most popular Android app is a live wallpaper (not in C2) that is Christian themed. It gets noticed because it is decent, but also because there are fewer of that type of app on the market. Putting something out there that deserves good reviews, and actually getting those reviews helps a ton.

As mentioned above, you get more out if you put more time into it. It helps if you are artistic or have access to someone who is. It helps if you know how to market/advertise and network.

Learning to write code, learning to work with others, and being a part of a larger community focused on app development have the potential to open doors to things beyond apps in Construct 2.

• > I have an app in the Play store, and it's still a beta app, where some features aren't working, and I have made a little over $100 so far from MoPub. Once I have another build available, it will have a PRO version and have IAPs. So the sky is the limit really. Just depends on your creativity and patience on making the game awesome. For all we know, Flappy Bird could have been created in Construct 2, and the guy was making $50k USD a day at one point from the game.

>

100 dollars per day ?

Oh no. Total.

• My firm belief?

Art is the limit.

your game is only as good as it is graphically. The better your art, the more you will earn.

No, you don't need amazing HD assets. Pixel art is perfectly acceptable. Whatever your style, whatever the level of detail.

It needs to be consistent: from UI design down to characters, scenery and animations. Things need a style and need to all stay with it.

Art also needs to be complete. That means a full UI. Backgrounds. Characters. Effects. Animations. Text fonts.

Finally, it needs to be appealing. That green rectangle you have as your player might do some really cool things. But are people going to want to look at it for any length of time?

There is a lot of art that needs to go into a game, no matter how simple. Even the most simple of pixel art needs decent looking animations.

Either be talented. Or have the money to hire talent.

That talent can be the HD or Pixel level graphics and anywhere in-between. But you can't cut corners here. If art feels out of place/inconsistent, lacking/empty or aesthetically unapealing then you have just lost customers and lost money.

You cant judge a book by its cover, but you sure as $%^&* can judge a game in an app store that way. Have decent screen shots, real preferably, if faked, better be feasable or possible with real assets, and a nice cover page.

In my experience, art will cost you $200-$1500 for the majority of game assets. Small game.

Not even a ton of assets.

We are talking 10 or less people.

1-2 backgrounds.

variety of items and other assets

Cross the barrier of art, and earnings are infinite.

--------------------------

The money you make also has a ton to deal with the social aspect of your game.

Twitter and facebook are very important tools.

Let your players share their hi-scores and tell their friends.

Also, ask them to rate your game. how you ask is VERY important.

i suggest asking if they like the game.

if they say YES. Proceed to ask them to rate the game.

if they say NO. Do not ask them to rate the game. Probably make it so you never ask them again.

------------------

Advertising VS paid App!

Which earns more?

Advertising earns more as a total earnings. (generally)

However, per user. If a person buys the game. You generally earn more from that person than if free with advertisements.

A free advertisement version. And a Pro no-ads version is usually a good idea.

I suggest making that "Pro" version include additional content.

------------

Finally.

Create your advertising accounts well in advance before you even are ready to launch.

It took me months to get approved and ready to go even though I had a complete working game.

And there is little point putting your game in the stores without it earning money.

-----------

An afterthought here.

When are you ready to publish?

Some people will place ANYTHING in a store. They live by it. They have that first game prototype they ever made available for people to see and judge.

I dont recommend being that person.

I say wait. Allow yourself a solid product. You as a company have an image. That first launch does not need to be spectacular. But it should be a full product. Something you are proud of.

An example of what NOT to do.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... tton&hl=en

Although, with android users I do see a tendency to download the worst apps simply for that "Internet Troll" aspect. Make the worst game ever to exist, it may very well become one of the best selling games of all times these days.

Less so with IOS. But still a problem.

• Construct 2 itself doesn't matter. It's a solid tool. As a business, what matters is the quality of the services or products you offer.

You can make a consistent living as a freelance game developer or designer for other companies. I work as a part-time freelancer now, and I earn a tiny monthly salary on average. With strong skills, a good sense of communication, and a dedicated activity, you can earn a lot through freelancing. It's not easy, it's not for everyone, but it is a viable path. I have a few developer friends and make a comfortable living with construct 2. Their professional skills go beyond C2 though: they are serious businessmen as well.

If you want to make money as an independent game designer - without bounds from a publisher or a client -, it's a whole other thing. It is hard to build a sustainable indie game studio. I invite you to get in touch with established businesses in your country or region and ask them for some details on their struggles and earnings. Here in France, most just don't make a living from their work. Even experienced users like Aurel or KaMiZoTo are investing big time (thus money) in their projects. And I believe that they are both experienced professionals.

In practice, most professionals who take the indie route either live on their savings from previous years, or they do part-time freelance work. I believe that's what the guys from NotionGames do/did (Super Ubie Land).

I wish you the best of luck!

Nathan

• Valerien Yep, I've spent 1 year and a half on Penelope for now, full time. My savings are gone, obviously.

No idea if I'll make money with this game, but that's not the most important.

It's more of a personal challenge, to find out if I can complete a game of my very own.

On the money side, well... I'll share the numbers at the beginning of 2015 if someone is interested. Fingers crossed!

Good luck with your games, C2 devs!

• As wonderful as money is, it's important not to make it your raison d'etre. There are too many developers creating rubbish heap games with the sole intention of churning them out as little cash bots using interstitial advertising etc in the hopes of getting rich. The actual game is considered a by-product of a stealth advertising strategy for the app stores. This is highly damaging and has an equivalent offender on the Amazon Kindle store where thousands of wannabe get-rich-quick authors publish sub-standard ebooks with awful DIY illustrations, dire stories and worse, all because they think that if their crap ebook can generate $1 a day, then they deduce that 100 crap ebooks could bring in $100 a day.

The genuine game developers always shine through, even if they don't create the next top 100 Appstore title.

Design and develop games because you love creating amazing fun gaming experiences and not because you want to emulate the Flappy Birds financial success.

If you enjoy statistics and money more than game development, you might as well give up now. The vast majority of solo / indie game developers won't make an annual income that exceeds what you'd earn flipping burgers in McDonalds.

Alternatively, stuff the money and just make the next best game because you want to. If it's a financial success, then that's an added bonus.

• mister k

"As wonderful as money is, it's important not to make it your raison d'etre."

"If you enjoy statistics and money more than game development, you might as well give up now. The vast majority of solo / indie game developers won't make an annual income that exceeds what you'd earn flipping burgers in McDonalds."

Good points, I'll add that, in this case, you (not you, but the one that enjoys more the money and stats) may also just not do the game, but learn to establish a marketing model depending on existing games, so actual devs that cares can make money out of their good, well polished, work.

Right now it seems people are more "trying things out for quick and easy money", whereas being able to make consistent money out of a real work seems like a "no go, not even worth trying duh!"

• There are too many developers creating rubbish heap games with the sole intention of churning them out as little cash bots using interstitial advertising etc in the hopes of getting rich. The actual game is considered a by-product of a stealth advertising strategy for the app stores.

Unfortunately, apps stores are really opened and designed to empower those kinds of practices: as games and apps are drowned in the slumps of the stores, being part of a network of product is often required to bear some weight on the market. I'm not saying that it's good: it is very bad. But the market has evolved in that direction, and it's only getting worse with a major platform like steam taking the same route.

It's more of a personal challenge, to find out if I can complete a game of my very own.

And a successful one it seems

• I have sold just under 1000 copies of Cosmochoria in early access since Sept 29th, 2014 which is allowing me to complete the development at a higher rate.

I also gained the support of 1200 or so Kickstarter backers this May for $28,000 which, after rewards, fees, etc, ended up being about $15,000 that i could put towards development.

This was all after working on Cosmochoria for 6 months full time 8-12 hours a day, so working a full time job still would have been better if I was just interested in money.

Cosmochoria will leave Early Access and the true test begins next January/February.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)