How should I protect my Intellectual Property ?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:25 am

Not to mention that the King's hit game is a clone on it's own.

Realistically.. You most likely don't have resources to do any meaningful protection and most likely just waste the time/money/effort on even trying to do so.
Need help? Upload .capx file with your question.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:43 pm

Thank you all for your answers ;)

@Beaverlicious
@Aurora Australis
@BluePhaze

I know that I can't patent a gameplay type (that would be as retarded as trying to patent the words "Candy" and "King"). I want to know how to protect my developer/site name ...

Let's say I use the name RedFlag. I wouldn't mind if someone creates BlueFlag or CrimsonFlag , but I would mind if someone would use the name RedFlag2 or TheRedFlag or REDFlag.

Is there a way to do that or is better not to complicate :?:
Does a Trademark help (and justifies the money) ?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:54 pm

A Trademark is never wrong. If you want to make Profit from your games, you have to Pay taxes as every Company does. Here you can be punished real hard for Acting and earning money like a Company, without paying the taxes.

Also saving the Domain and choosing a rare Name will help. If you search for Beaverlicious, you find me and nearly just me. If you choose redflag for example, youll be on page 10000;-)
Check out our start-up and configure your own helmet in true 3D.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:17 pm

A Trademark only works if you can establish the brand-name as yours. You probably won't be able to do this with a name like Redflag (in fact I guarantee you can't).
Polo shirts is an excellent case study on the limitations of trademarks.

Beaverlicious would be a fantastic trademark name, if beaver went down that route.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:18 pm

You have to have a name that is unique in your category (video games) to get a trademark, luckily "BluePhaze Creations" was relatively easy to get. Adding a second word to the trademark name makes it much easier to not be too close to other names. If you want to protect your name that is how you do it. There are over 40 categories of trademark, so you need to make sure you choose the correct one as well.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:49 am

Plus exclusivity to a trademark mightn't even completely apply within a category you select, if the company/person who violates the trademark can argue that they're catering to a different demographic.
For instance, when Mr Whippy (franchise selling ice-creams out of vans) launched action against a 4 star restaurant selling ice-creams with the same trademarked name, the restaurant argued the technicality that somebody eating at a 4 star restaurant was unlikely to buy a ice-cream out of a van, so there was no violation of trademark.
Such fun.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:17 am

Wow, interesting information here! This is really helpful information to everyone who is just getting started like me! Thanks guys!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:35 pm

@Beaverlicious
@Aurora Australis
RedFlag was just an example, I know that is widely used.

@BluePhaze
I thought of the idea of using Mobile as a second world, but Creations sounds better :) Do you know any other words that would sound more professional like Solutions or Studio ?

How much does trademarking a name/brand cost ?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:51 pm

@TGeorgeMihai Studios, Games, Entertainment, Design, Unlimited, and just about anything that gives an idea of what you do.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:44 am

Of course, whatever happens, you can't copyright an idea so the best thing you can do is get distinct branding and characters which can be trademarked. The game mechanic as well is something you won't be able to stop people copying. Probably the best thing to do is not even try.

Yes, by all means trademark that which makes your game unique, design wise, but you won't get anything popular if no one ever sees it because you're worried about someone copying you.
B
S

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General