How to add piracy protection in Node-webkit?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Fri May 10, 2013 3:23 am

But some were... colour coded!

Quite imaginative

very hard to scan

Or just plain fun!

Damn, I miss manuals.sved2013-05-10 03:24:09
...but this is mostly psychological. Check my devlog
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 10, 2013 3:53 am

@sved It seems you really miss these manuals, actually it's sad they don't use it anymore due to waste of time.

I was looking to implement using node fs (file system) to detect if is not pirated, i'm not going to use this method because it would waste more money for material instead of digital downloading.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 10, 2013 4:12 am

Be Aware, Game Dev Tycoon is a HTML5 app, compiled with node-webkit, it features piracy protection mode that it makes you impossible to win the game.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 10, 2013 9:00 am

@Joannesalfa : spending money in antipiracy measure isn't very wise, but you need to have a "minimum of antipiracy" baked in, to aovid losing all customers.
The thing is that people always go for the route that is less costly. If you use a simple technique that needs an hour of online search to crack, "regular" customer are going to buy your game instead of losing one hour, and typical crackers are going to crack it anyway.
Think about the 80/20 rule : 80% of the money comes from 20% of the customers. So make it hard for those 20% of customer to have a cracked version. And only for them, no more, because what is invested on top of those 20% is lost money.
that means very simple trick like : CRC check of the binary file size, serial key (meaning having a server to check that, or a keycheck injected inside the binary), or demo/complete versions of the game. Nothing fancy, everything already invented, but that's sufficient to dether piracy from the "mom's and dad's" (what a clich ! ;)) playing your game (and after all, they have the money anyway to pay, not the youngsters).
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 10, 2013 9:17 am

@joannesalfa
Didn't the dev of GDT just release a slightly different version of his game on the pirate bay, on release, on his own accord?

That's how it got pirated so much..
It's important to know that a pirated copy does not equate to a lost sale.. statistics like 90% of copies were pirated does not mean that all, if not any of those copies would have been an actual sale if the option to pirate was not there.

In fact, if he hadn't put this modified version on tbp, and then made the article on piracy.. relatively much fewer people would have even heard of his game. The whole thing was to get publicity from other articles, which would lead to more actual sales.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 10, 2013 9:34 am

Yeah it's a tough call. Some indies have deliberately released unprotected versions of their games on pirate bay, and claimed it actually increased sales from word of mouth. Some had bad experiences. I'd agree that nothing will stop a dedicated pirate/cracker, better to just focus on good gameplay and profit from the word of mouth.

The "joking" piracy protection might be an even worse idea (despite how amusing it is to read about) because if it's at all buggy, you're going to have a lot of legitimate customers who won't necessarily be laughing. Nor will you if they want a refund.     Venivididormi2013-05-10 09:35:05
B
S

Post » Sat May 11, 2013 12:25 am

@Pode, yes i already know what you are talking about, look i'm not really interesed to implement serious anti-piracy system. I don't need to fight against Piracy, i was talking if is possible or not, otherwise i would promote my games on piracy website to get great promoted.(Maybe they take advantage of my work).

I think pirated version is more like full demo with cripple features.

@keepee

Yes, they did.

It's another interesing experiment that the game would gain a lot of fans.

@Venivididormi the people who pirated games aren't customers. Besides, i agree with you about word of mouth.

B
S
G

Previous

Return to How do I....?