How to advertise / sell an Indie Game?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Mon May 02, 2011 5:54 pm

[quote="Daiz":2jy1n6ok][quote="Zotged":2jy1n6ok]Isn't Nifflas' Saira made with MMF2 too? I've been under that assumption.[/quote:2jy1n6ok]

Indeed it was.[/quote:2jy1n6ok]

Oh yeah... hmm. Maybe there was more to the konjak story then.

[quote="karshinkoff":2jy1n6ok]if its a great game, yea i have my right to expect a money flow, especialy if people are allready buying my game. especially when i see two games on steam who are absolutly horrible and they somehow magically made it into steam. kidding me right?[/quote:2jy1n6ok]

I don't think Steam cares if you think your game is better than other games on Steam. It's not like being egotistical is a submission requirement.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 02, 2011 6:19 pm

[quote="karshinkoff":3w5bzqn6]hey jayjay i wrote to desura, but do they need to approve the game, or i can upload it myself? (payed game)[/quote:3w5bzqn6]

Nope, that's the beauty of Desura, you just need a video and around 10 (or 14? it's in that tutorial link I posted) photos of your game, and you can upload and start selling it! :)

However, Desura is still moderated, so if you need to clear up licensing for content and etc, it'd probably be best to write to them.
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 02, 2011 6:38 pm

Actually, from the link you posted:

"It must be noted that only high quality content will be allowed on Desura. Thus please make sure that the content you are trying to publish is of the best standard and as free from glitches and defects as possible. Beta versions will be allowed only if they are of decent quality."

So in a way, they do need to approve it.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 02, 2011 6:57 pm

[quote="Arima":emg4oiko]Actually, from the link you posted:

"It must be noted that only high quality content will be allowed on Desura. Thus please make sure that the content you are trying to publish is of the best standard and as free from glitches and defects as possible. Beta versions will be allowed only if they are of decent quality."

So in a way, they do need to approve it.[/quote:emg4oiko]

I guess, but that is post-submission moderation, compared to the pre-submission moderation that Steam uses. Probably because Desura represents homemade games while Steam needs to stay professional.
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 02, 2011 8:39 pm

I think the best way to sell your own games is to open your own website and sell it from there.Isn't that what indie means?.Think about it When i use steam or another publisher to sell my games then the word independent falls away doesn't it ?.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 02, 2011 8:44 pm

[quote="DravenX":7if37lks]I think the best way to sell your own games is to open your own website and sell it from there.Isn't that what indie means?.Think about it When i use steam or another publisher to sell my games then the word independent falls away doesn't it ?.[/quote:7if37lks]

It depends on whether you define independent as "independently made" or "independently sold/distributed". If it's the latter, the person would probably need to be selling the game physically, on a table, outside their house, for the game to be indie :P

That said, I see what you mean, it adds a middle-man to the process who absorbs some of the income. But even Paypal do that I think? :?
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 03, 2011 3:09 am

Another MMF2 game called Faerie Solitaire is also on steam.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Open Topic