How to create APK Expansion file?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:52 am

I just read in depth the instructions I got from Intel yesterday (I was away from my desk) :

The solution is not fully automated yet, it still requires adding and editing intelxdk.config.additions.xml file manually. I believe that as soon as the automated workflow is completed, Intel will publish instructions.
B
S

Post » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:12 am

I can't wait to play with this. More than just allowing us to exceed the 50MB limit, it makes it easier to deploy updates: put your "static" assets like music and base sprites into the secondary APK, and only ever update the primary APK (which will contain your event scripts and new/changed assets) as you expand your game or fix bugs and whatnot. Saves users download time/data as well, which is still a concern on mobile for many people.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:59 pm

MaorKeshet wrote:I just read in depth the instructions I got from Intel yesterday (I was away from my desk) :

The solution is not fully automated yet, it still requires adding and editing intelxdk.config.additions.xml file manually. I believe that as soon as the automated workflow is completed, Intel will publish instructions.

Awesome, thanks for the info.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:31 am

Update:
Upon testing manually the expansion plugin with my game, few problems and issues came up.
Intel are currently working on these last adjustments and fixes.
B
S

Post » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:10 pm

Thanks for the update. Hopefully it will be easy to use the plugin on release.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:58 pm

I just had a successful test !!!!!
My 145Mb game downloaded from google play, installed and launched :)
I guess that Intel will officially publish the plugin soon.

@delaflaquita - for now, completing the process requires manual editing of intelxdk.config.additions.xml with some app data from your google play developer console, but this is not too complicated.
B
S

Post » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:00 pm

GeometriX wrote:I can't wait to play with this. More than just allowing us to exceed the 50MB limit, it makes it easier to deploy updates: put your "static" assets like music and base sprites into the secondary APK, and only ever update the primary APK (which will contain your event scripts and new/changed assets) as you expand your game or fix bugs and whatnot. Saves users download time/data as well, which is still a concern on mobile for many people.

@GeometriX - At it's current state, plugin works only with the Images folder, not with the Media folder
B
S

Post » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:52 pm

Darn, Intel just updated their XDK software and I see nothing about this. I'll have patience for the future.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:01 am

Ashley wrote:I've asked Intel to support it automatically in Crosswalk. I'll nudge them and see what the progress is.

Any updates from Intel on this? Thanks.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:32 pm

delaflaquita wrote:Darn, Intel just updated their XDK software and I see nothing about this. I'll have patience for the future.

This has nothing to do with your installed xdk software, it is server-side business that are quite complicated.

No news about the official release, sorry.
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General