How to get noticed?

Ideas and discussion about publishing and distributing your games

Post » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:05 pm

Make things that stand out. A creative artstyle, pushing genres, fill gaps, innovation. Give journalists a reason to write about your stuff and give viewers a reason to follow what you do.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:54 pm

Add social buttons to your game - If someone likes it, make it easy for them to tell there friends

Get your friends to rank and post reviews - I'm more likely to play a 4 star game then a 3.

On google play, I found adding Language Translations to the store Listing will boost the downloads - I don't recommend if your game has a lot text or requires reading to play.

Try to pick a unique name. On Google Play my app Sewer Fish is #1 on the Keywords "Sewer Fish" & "Sewers" and It's #3 for "Sewer". My other game Smash Car title is not that unique and it's hard to find :( - but I'm working on it. I just started using mobileaction.co to track keyword placement & ASO - it's free

@Naji Thank you for writing a review of Smash Car on your site, that helps to.
B
S

Post » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:31 pm

Tokinsom wrote:It's pretty simple. Make a good game. People talk about good games. All the marketing and promotion in the world is useless otherwise. Sorry to be so blunt, but flappy bird / space invaders clones with public assets and a game where you tap squares aren't the most appealing. There's an ocean of amazing work out there and it's gonna take more than that to get noticed.

Completely agree with this. This applies to any art form. Make content that has some type of quality and people will come to it. Maybe not millions at first, but it will interest some people. No need to play cheap tricks, just make good content.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:51 am

A lot of great advice here! As somebody knew to this art form (musician turned games designer), the best trick I've learnt is to get involved in the community of it all. From diving into forums like Scirra and TouchArcade, to the plethora of hashttags on twitter (#indiedev and #screenshotsaturday are my favourites for striking up a conversation). Go to networking events/conferences/exhibitions, even better if you can display at any of these, a lot of the time these are free too :)
B
S

Post » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:24 pm

Notice me SENPAI!
B
S

Post » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:49 pm

A0Nasser wrote:Gamers search for new ideas, try to make something new.

I don't agree.
This is never enough. Google Play is full of new ideas that can't reach enough of people while stupid Candy Crush clones can reach thousands of people...
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:01 pm

piszozo wrote:
A0Nasser wrote:Gamers search for new ideas, try to make something new.

I don't agree.
This is never enough. Google Play is full of new ideas that can't reach enough of people while stupid Candy Crush clones can reach thousands of people...

True because they liked the idea of candy crush and they might be bored of it and they are new seeking new games like it , you are so right
ImageImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:52 pm

I don't thinking it's an issue of people not liking new ideas or trying to find them. It's a known fact that the app market have huge discovery issues. Most people have probably never seen or heard of the games that do try new stuff and experiment because they are simply too hard to find, most people will try new things if they are easy to find and free of risk. If I were to blame something it would be the system we have built but never maintain, not the people that buy games.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:01 pm

Awesome idea + Full beautiful game + great marketing = Success
For example : Five nights at freddy's - Papers please - Cut the rope
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:12 am

Think out of the box to draw attention! Put the url on your bumper sticker or your t-shirt. Ideally with catchy graphics.

Remember, you're competing with huge corporations who spend millions of dollars on advertising their product. You have to find your niche.

Even if you create the best game in the world, nobody will play it if they don't find out about it.
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Distribution and Publishing