How to make a Multiplayer App...

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
The internet is bombarded daily with new apps (app is the short term for application)
  • I just played a game called snake crash last night on my android phone. It had a multiplayer button that immediately put you in a game against1 random opponent from somewhere in the world. It was really fun. I want to know if Construct 2 can do that? If so, how? I feel like if we had a couple more multiplayer tutorials (demo examples) made from Ashley, a lot more people would make multiplayer games.. Especially me...

• I would like to make a classic shooter, with ships that fight enemies and bosses together, they would be so great

• I would also like to make a simple game like snake crash, with moving random background objects and power ups, that appear in the same place for both players and whoever gets there first can collect it or interact with it:).

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Unfortunately when multiplayer released not that many people actually used it which is why it didn't receive more support. Still, what you want to do is achievable and you can learn from studying the multiplayer examples that are there (ghost shooter,pong and chat room).

For a simpler entry point you can check out my tutorial which focuses on a peer to peer setup.

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/1432/g ... ayer-games

• I remember when multiplayer came out. It was right after some big changes had been made to the performance such as collision cells etc if I'm not mistaken. I felt like a lot of the community was still focused on that and would've liked that to be more addressed before moving on to multiplayer, it felt ill-timed. Many users still had basic problems getting their games to run and multiplayer was like putting gloss on a floor that still needed to be swept.. I love multiplayer, we all do. I want to use it. I wish it were easier or had a couple more advanced tutorials. I am trying to use it now, but the reason it didn't get much use in the beginning was because users were still focused on the basics of the engine (the things that weren't working right), and didn't feel confident enough to move on while their basic projects werent' working yet

• It's nice to have a million features, it's nicer if those features work, and work super well!!

• Imo, a big factor to it's lack of adoption at the time was that it was still bleeding edge tech. It wasn't widely supported with browsers for a long time (and at the time there was no indication of how long it would take until it would be). It is much better now.

I too think it could be more user-friendly but at the same time it is just a completely different way of coding things up. A lot of the fundamentals you have been building wont apply here. A 'dummies guide to using the multiplayer object' would definitely help bridge the gap.

If you are determined, study all four of the introductory tutorials again. Change variables, see how things break or bend. I agree with what Ashley says in the manual, "You are likely to struggle if you try to skip ahead and start making a game without fully understanding how various aspects of multiplayer games work".

Nothing like jumping in the deep end though once in a while

• There's already over 30 pages of multiplayer tutorials, covering concepts, a chat room, pong and a real-time game. We can't, and never will be able to, make a dedicated tutorial for every kind of game anyone might ever want to make. Besides, it's better to teach the fundamentals, so you learn how things work and how to build new things yourself, rather than just following recipe-style tutorials.

Honestly, I think there aren't that many people using multiplayer because networking is just fundamentally difficult. You can make all sorts of excuses, but ultimately you are going from one game (which is often hard enough!), to multiple simultaneous games, all with slightly different time offsets, and all of which need to communicate with each other with varying degrees of latency, latency jitter, and bandwidth constraints. It's far more complicated and requires a whole different mental model about how to design it, which can take a long time to get comfortable with.

So yeah, multiplayer is just hard. I warned everyone it would be, but I think hype exceeded reality, and then when everyone realised that actually yes, it is hard, then it ended up with less usage.

• There's already over 30 pages of multiplayer tutorials, covering concepts, a chat room, pong and a real-time game. We can't, and never will be able to, make a dedicated tutorial for every kind of game anyone might ever want to make. Besides, it's better to teach the fundamentals, so you learn how things work and how to build new things yourself, rather than just following recipe-style tutorials.

Honestly, I think there aren't that many people using multiplayer because networking is just fundamentally difficult. You can make all sorts of excuses, but ultimately you are going from one game (which is often hard enough!), to multiple simultaneous games, all with slightly different time offsets, and all of which need to communicate with each other with varying degrees of latency, latency jitter, and bandwidth constraints. It's far more complicated and requires a whole different mental model about how to design it, which can take a long time to get comfortable with.

So yeah, multiplayer is just hard. I warned everyone it would be, but I think hype exceeded reality, and then when everyone realised that actually yes, it is hard, then it ended up with less usage.

You're smart ASHLEY. You're really good at making tools. You could make something that would get more use if you needed to. You could make it slightly simpler or make a demo game that shows off many aspects of it. I read all the pages of documentation, and combed over it slowly. Maybe I could do that again, but it just seems like it could be even more developed. I would like to make an app that includes multiplayer support, something as simple as a classic shooter but with 2 or more players. I understand you can't make demos for everything but I wish you could do one more showing off a few of the features, like a multiplayer cooperative experience where users work together toward a common goal (ie. taking down a horde of ships or a boss together.)

• We can't, and never will be able to, make a dedicated tutorial for every kind of game anyone might ever want to make.

• > We can't, and never will be able to, make a dedicated tutorial for every kind of game anyone might ever want to make.

>

I understand, but the greater quest is to make a finished product that goes into the app stores with working ads and IAP, then you can point users to that when they say it can't be done. That would be of high value to you and to us...

• I just played a game called snake crash last night on my android phone. It had a multiplayer button that immediately put you in a game against1 random opponent from somewhere in the world. It was really fun...

I would like to make a classic shooter, with ships that fight enemies and bosses together, they would be so great

I was thinking about doing something similar to this for my next project. But I hadn't thought of the idea to pick a random player from anywhere in the world, rather I was thinking if you were sitting next to a friend on the train you could join their game and play together.

Picking a random co-op partner would be very cool! I wonder how hard it would be to make a system where you can choose to either join a specific game (ie to play with a friend) or join a random game instead (if you don't have a friend to play with at that moment).

Im feeling motivated to make something like that!

• I was thinking about doing something similar to this for my next project. But I hadn't thought of the idea to pick a random player from anywhere in the world, rather I was thinking if you were sitting next to a friend on the train you could join their game and play together.

Picking a random co-op partner would be very cool! I wonder how hard it would be to make a system where you can choose to either join a specific game (ie to play with a friend) or join a random game instead (if you don't have a friend to play with at that moment).

Im feeling motivated to make something like that!

Making a system to join a random game room vs choosing a room is magnitudes easier than actually making the actual multiplayer game to begin with.

• Making a system to join a random game room vs choosing a room is magnitudes easier than actually making the actual multiplayer game to begin with.

Ok, Ive never played with multiplayer before so I admit I dont have a clear idea of whats involved yet.

• The multiplayer plugn isnt supported on IOS so thats 50% of the mobile market you cant have access to

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)