How to make physics platformer

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Everything is made via physics, Very simple code: 6 events only (3 for tank creation, 2 for controls and 1 for camera)
  • How to make platformer based on physics where you can push and pull objects. I found a cool example on youtube, but i don't know how to make physics like this. youtube.com/watch

• Mixing platform and physics behavior in one sprite is a bad idea.

My guess is that there are two sprites in that youtube video - the character sprite with platform behavior, and also an invisible sprite with physics behavior which follows the character copying its movements.

Character makes all the platform stuff - running, jumping etc. And the invisible physics sprite interacts with physics objects - pushes, knocks etc.

But this is only a theory and I may be wrong.

• Like dop2000 says, if you have an invisible physics sprite pinned to your platform characters movements it should work as long as you set the pinned physics object to IMMOVABLE. Know that sounds weird but the platform behavior will do all the movement for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xnnccnv5qf7l2z/Physics%20Platform%20Test.capx?dl=0

Try fiddling around with something like this

It does kinda work without an extra physics sprite if you give both platform and physics behavior to your player (and set physics to immovable) like this https://www.dropbox.com/s/nfsjqu7j6sehehl/Physics%20Platform%20Test%202.capx?dl=0 but it feels a little shonky, and you will likely have more control if you pin a separate object. Physics objects can be unpredictable so you want to make sure its easy to turn it off and on again if it misbehaves

• Christmas Pin and Platform behaviors are not compatible with physics. Yes, they work together, but not very good.

I'd also like to know how the author of that video did it. I don't think it's something simple though, his engine is probably quite complex.

He might not have used Platform behavior at all. It's possible that all platform movements are replicated using physics actions (apply force, impulse, velocity etc).

• I reckon with a lot of tinkering and some time you could get good results starting out like this? But it would be a big job and probably really frustrating. What about using custom platform behavior on an Immovable physics object instead?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ultimately dop2000 is right. To get this really good you're likely gonna have to go crazy tinkering with physics impulses and all that jazz to somehow make it into tight platform controls. One more simple solution might be disabling and enabling physics and platform behavior. I quickly tried this. Still less than ideal but could be something to get you started KefiRocK https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsahncfjokth2bx/Physics%20Platform%20Test%203.capx?dl=0 Good luck

• Looking at other vids from this user, looks like this was made in Construct Classic.

• Some physics can be made without full physics engine.

Try playable demo here: https://www.scirra.com/arcade/action-ga ... rmer-15063

The granade weapon (in level 3) simulate some mild physics.

• Keep an eye on my Box2D+ plugin in this thread. I'm working on a platform behavior helper plugin that will supplement Box2D+ and allow you to control an object in the same way as the platform behavior, but (of course) it's a high performance physics engine as well. The helper plugin should be ready in the next few weeks...

• Keep an eye on my Box2D+ plugin in this thread. I'm working on a platform behavior helper plugin that will supplement Box2D+ and allow you to control an object in the same way as the platform behavior, but (of course) it's a high performance physics engine as well. The helper plugin should be ready in the next few weeks...

Looks great Colludium

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)