[How to] Node Webkit for Linux and Mac (2015)

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:28 pm

What do you mean by 'the argument trick'?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:20 am

When you have to edit your package.json and add the " --file-descriptor-limit<10000> " argument to allow the game to run on Linux.
Image | @AurelRegard on twitter
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:58 am

OK so I've put together a build that's basically just Airscape's objects without any events, layouts, families, etc. tried it on a mac and it red-bars literally every time. So at least we have a repro.

Reckon you could point me towards a good place to put that so the NW people can get on it? Are they OK with getting C2 projects?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:01 am

Issues are reported here: https://github.com/nwjs/nw.js/issues

I'd send a html5 export as well, not only a capx
Also, make sure to add the -- ignore gpu blacklist tag and see if it works. If the red loading bar is still here, you'll be sure it's only related to the number of files.
And maybe send a working capx + a working project with very few objects so they know it's really related to this issue?

Thanks for being brave enough to report this issue, if this works, I think some devs here will be very thankful to you : )
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:55 am

sqiddster wrote:OK so I've put together a build that's basically just Airscape's objects without any events, layouts, families, etc. tried it on a mac and it red-bars literally every time. So at least we have a repro.

Reckon you could point me towards a good place to put that so the NW people can get on it? Are they OK with getting C2 projects?

You can actually find out what's going on if you add
Code: Select all
"toolbar": true

To your package.json. Then start your game, click what looks like a "settings" icon and go to the "console" tab. The error will be listed there.

The first time it happened to me I learnt that my game was trying to load the wrong settings file, so I fixed it and it worked. But the second time it happened to me I had some crazy issues - I contacted Ashley and he suggested I could try a clean reinstall of both C2 and Node-Webkit, so I deleted everything, installed the latest C2 (r200), Node-Webkit 10.5 on the right folder (the folder name changed after r198 or something I think) and it worked!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:12 am

sqiddster wrote:OK so I've put together a build that's basically just Airscape's objects without any events, layouts, families, etc. tried it on a mac and it red-bars literally every time. So at least we have a repro.

sorry if this was asked, but are you using the 'High Quality' graphics setting in the project settings? Does it work if you switch it to Medium?
Made Cosmochoria - www.cosmochoria.com
Currently working on Slayaway Camp - www.slayawaycamp.com
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:28 am

@andreyin thanks, I'll try that out once I get mac access again.

@80bit it's high quality. I don't see how that's relevant though, even if revering to medium quality fixes it it's still a terrible workaround and a bug that needs to be fixed.

Anyone know how I can revert to 10.5 in the meantime? I tried putting my nw files from r184 in the nwjsforc2 directory but that didn't work.

Thanks!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:31 pm

Maybe this could help? This also explains how to revert to 10.5

viewtopic.php?f=146&t=121514&p=870727&hilit=linux#p870727
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:38 pm

@sqiddster

This is a response I got from Julien @ Scirra via email when setting downscaling to Medium fixed my red loading bar (was set to High originally):

We have indeed had users having issues recently with this new property that was added not that long ago.
You can read a bit more about it and its impact in this manual article.

It all comes down to memory usage, and thus should make sense as why it could prevent the game from loading in the first place.

If you feel that your project should still be able to load and execute despite those case, we may investigate it and optimize our engine further.

Here's the manual entry he's referring to:
https://www.scirra.com/manual/183/memory-usage

Specifically:
When exporting, Construct 2 runs several optimisations including spritesheeting to save memory. Setting the Downscaling project property to 'High quality' forces spritesheeting to pad out all sprites to power-of-two sizes, negating the memory saving of spritesheets. This can significantly add to the memory requirement of your project. Since 'High quality' mode exists only to address two relatively minor rendering issues (edge fringing on sprites, or altered quality on the last animation frame), it should not be used unless one of these rendering issues has been specifically observed and the issue is resolved by choosing this option. Otherwise your project will be paying a very high price in memory usage for no reason.

tl;dr -- high quality should ONLY be used if you see unfixable issues with medium quality.
Made Cosmochoria - www.cosmochoria.com
Currently working on Slayaway Camp - www.slayawaycamp.com
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:20 pm

Penelope starts in low quality (project settings), then switch to high for the title screen/cutscenes/dialogs, then switch to low for gameplay, then switch back to high for cutscenes, then low for gameplay etc...

Maybe for Airscape you could try to autoswitch depending of the average framerate? I made a test a few months ago, and it worked quite ok!
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General