[How to] Node Webkit for Linux and Mac (2015)

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:20 am

@80bit there *are* unfixable issues with medium quality, hence I'm using high quality.

@aurel I think you're referring to fullscreen scaling, which is unrelated to memory usage and can be changed at runtime. 80bit is referring to the image quality setting which effects how images are exported and cannot be changed at runtime.

This whole thing is ridiculous - C2 uses layout-by-layout loading so memory usage isn't directly related to number of files. I've never noticed problems with memory usage.

Measuring in the task manager, the game currently uses about 300mb RAM at startup and about 600mb ingame (presumably mostly from music etc). No idea about VRAM usage, in C2 debug it says about 50mb. That certainly isn't unreasonable.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:56 am

sqiddster wrote:@80bit there *are* unfixable issues with medium quality, hence I'm using high quality.

my bad dude, was just trying to give my feedback / experience.
Made Cosmochoria - www.cosmochoria.com
Currently working on Slayaway Camp - www.slayawaycamp.com
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:46 am

80bit wrote:
my bad dude, was just trying to give my feedback / experience.

Oh no problem at all, sorry if I came across as rude, not my intention. Really appreciate you helping out :)

As for your email reply from Scirra - I can't see how it's an engine optimization issue. If it only happens in NW on certain OS's, and it works fine in Windows consistently, it must be a NW issue? Or am I misunderstanding?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:51 pm

sqiddster wrote:Oh no problem at all, sorry if I came across as rude, not my intention. Really appreciate you helping out :)

As for your email reply from Scirra - I can't see how it's an engine optimization issue. If it only happens in NW on certain OS's, and it works fine in Windows consistently, it must be a NW issue? Or am I misunderstanding?

yeah it could very well have been that our issues were unrelated. I think when i was getting a red bar, it might have been on all OS' -- it's been a while & i cant recall. If you want to rule a system issue out you can always send me that stripped down capx you made and I can try building it on my end. I tried that with Andre Chagas Silva for Dreaming Sarah and it worked on my machine so he knew it was something specific to his setup and a reinstall fixed it all up. Sorry i cant help any more, but Ill help however I can!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:41 am

OK, finally got my mac up and running. Same issue. I've submitted a bug report to nw.js. Hopefully they can do something with that. If you guys could maybe add a comment saying it's effecting you too that would be awesome!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:47 am

Hi @Aurel

I'm currently trying to get my game Orbit working well on osx. Was the lack of webgl effects a problem for you, or did you not have any from the start? I use the Tint effect quite a lot and I can't really think of an alternative tat works without webgl.
B
S

Post » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:52 am

@AlexFrancois what makes you think webGL doesn't work on OSX? In all my testing it works fine, as it should.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:59 pm

sqiddster wrote:@AlexFrancois what makes you think webGL doesn't work on OSX? In all my testing it works fine, as it should.

From my understanding webGL support was only added in os 10.10, I'm testing on 10.7 and no effects are rendered.
B
S

Post » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:04 pm

@AlexFrancois where did you heat that? I'm 99.99% sure that's not true.

EDIT: I misread your post a little bit, I guess you're talking about mac OS's? I can't really comment on that, I haven't tried on a lot of different OSX's.
Last edited by sqiddster on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:06 pm

AlexFrancois wrote:
sqiddster wrote:@AlexFrancois what makes you think webGL doesn't work on OSX? In all my testing it works fine, as it should.

From my understanding webGL support was only added in os 10.10, I'm testing on 10.7 and no effects are rendered.

I am using a mac for my primary testing environment and can confirm pretty much all webgl effects have been working for me over 2 years now.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General