How to provide graphics for multiple resolutions?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:53 pm

I have to agree here. You design your game for one resolution but then create 2-3 different resolutions for your sprite sheets and then based on screen density decide which to use. As for backgrounds depends if you want to have letterbox or not, in which case you overscan your design to not have anything cropped too much.

B
S

Post » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:15 pm

Do you have benchmarks to back that up? As @thehen said, we generally find low-power devices are CPU-bound, not GPU-bound. GPUs are very well optimised for things like downscaling, and with mipmaps they do it with very good quality. We also support memory management to avoid running out of memory, so even devices with 512MB of RAM can get by with a well-designed game. Unless you want a huge game to run on a low-powered Android handset (which the CPU probably couldn't handle anyway), then it seems like drawing multiple sets of artwork is just a waste of time and unnecessary bloat to the size of the game.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:42 am

Hi Ashley

I don't have any benchmarks, as I'm still learning the process and mainly going by research and other peoples feedback/experiences, with loading high res. images on low spec devices.

I'm happy to give your way a go, but I would like to ask a couple of questions

- If I want to make sure my game plays well on HD screens (1920x1080/1920x1280) would the best approach be to

1. Make a game at lets say (1920x1280) and scale it down for older devices?
2. Make the game window 4x smaller e.g. 480x320 and import all the sprite graphics at 4x the size and scale them to 25%, then scale the whole window up to the desired resolution.

Will HD graphics at this size still be optimal for lower spec devices?

Do you have any other tips regarding this?

I am all good with scaling(letterbox etc.), but I need as much info dealing with this as possible.

If anyone has any experiences or tips, I would really appreciate them.

Thank you!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:18 pm

Both your options result in identical rendering work. It is probably easier to go for option 1.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:21 pm

Exported to a mobile device, having multiple sets of graphics in your build .... will play havoc on your performance.

Everything from your project gets loaded into memory.

With a small game this shouldnt be that hard.

But with a large game .. where you probably designed the high resolution graphics for, having all those extra images will bloat your program really fast.

Who dares wins
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:05 pm

Well, for sure there should be a system to load only the desired assets into memory, that's at least what happens normally
B
S

Post » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:21 am

Supporting multiple densities does seem pretty standard. Google recommends it all over the Android developers site.

As Ninjadoodle says "The other bonus is that if you decide to update your apps in the future ( as resolutions get higher ) you can just upload higher resolution graphics with a (for example) @8x suffix and the engine will take care of the rest ( only use those graphics if the device is a very high definition TV or tablet )."

2 years ago we started developing at a 800,420 resolution for the Galaxy S, which seemed like a sensible mid-range device but is now becoming a dinosaur. In a few years time we'll need to overhaul all our apps and adjust all the pixel values if there isn't any screen density asset control. A nice simple system would really help future proof games, as retina screens and their Android equivalents get denser and denser.Nathan2013-12-29 08:23:13
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General