[How to] Remove the "white" around an image

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:04 pm

I have a small sprite, that has "white" around it (it is several different shades of bright white)I was wondering if there is a way inwhich, that white will go away or, if I have to go into PS(photoshop) and edit it myself.

I thank anyone whom replies in advance, as I appreciate the help.
B

Post » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:17 pm

You load the image as a sprite, then zoom in with the sprite editor and edit the image 1 pixel at a time using the eraser tool to remove the 'white' and add transparency.

A little time consuming but that's how I did it for the walking character in my maze.
Project Lead of Zems Online Card Game

Producer at Impulse Limited
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Alright, I appreciate it, and I will give it a shot.
B

Post » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:54 pm

You can also try to use photoshop's or gimp's "magic stick". It's a tool that allows you to make selections by the color (or a variety colors and shades, depending on how you set it up). It always depends on the picture. If it has a very good contrast to the background, this tool might work quite nicely!!!
B

Post » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:59 pm

[QUOTE=TheStoepsel2001] You can also try to use photoshop's or gimp's "magic stick". It's a tool that allows you to make selections by the color (or a variety colors and shades, depending on how you set it up). It always depends on the picture. If it has a very good contrast to the background, this tool might work quite nicely!!![/QUOTE]

For sprites where the magic wand tool is able to accurately select your sprite, this is a better option.

Magic Wand selects sprite
New layer via Cut
Delete the lower layer

And voila, you have just the sprite, everything else is transparent.

B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:15 pm

[QUOTE=Excal] [QUOTE=TheStoepsel2001] You can also try to use photoshop's or gimp's "magic stick". [...][/QUOTE]

For sprites where the magic wand [...][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the correction. My GIMP is setup in German, and I couldn't come up with a better translation. Magic "Stick" sounds kinda weird, now that I'm reviewing it ;o)TheStoepsel20012013-03-13 14:54:12
B

Post » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:18 pm

[QUOTE=Excal] You load the image as a sprite, then zoom in with the sprite editor and edit the image 1 pixel at a time using the eraser tool to remove the 'white' and add transparency.

A little time consuming but that's how I did it for the walking character in my maze.[/QUOTE]

You can use the fill tool as well; just set the colors alpha to 0.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:21 pm

[QUOTE=vee41]
You can use the fill tool as well; just set the colors alpha to 0.[/QUOTE]

I did not know you could create transparency with the fill tool. Thanks for the tip!

B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:29 pm

@vee41 Amazing, this great now I dont have to leave C2 anymore.
B
S
G

Return to How do I....?