How to use Git/SVN Correctly

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:37 pm

Okay, I'm new to version control, and have been using Git as my preferred method. Everything worked perfectly when it was just me making commits (I assume because there would never be any conflicting files), but as soon my friend tried making commits the problems started. Conflicting files and Detached-HEADs galore.

In short, I don't know what I'm doing and I need some help, specific to Construct 2 and in general with Git. I know I need to add files to the .gitignore file, but I'm not sure what ones to add. A specific conflict we are having is with a layout.uistate.xml file; can I add this to the .gitignore, or is it vital for Construct 2?

Can anyone help me out with this, because it is absolutely vital that we use some form of version control, as Dropbox isn't a suitable alternative.
slap it onto the flappy bird template...
bang it on google play with all the other shovelware...
sorted...
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:42 pm

The file layout.uistate.xml holds the "in editor" status of the layout. (for example, layer3 in the layout being invisible, or locked, stuff like that).

So indeed, between two versions of two users, the file may be different.
It is not a vital file in the execution of a project though.

I don't know exactly how version control system work but you probably can configure it so that those kind of files don't get committed or something.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:24 pm

You should not add any .uistate.xml files to source control, since they are specific to your UI setup and don't contain any project data. They will definitely conflict a lot if you put them in source control, so make sure you don't!
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:52 pm

Thanks for replies, I'm going to have a little poke around and see what I can find with this. I'll post a follow-up about it later.

Edit:

@Ashley
The last conflict I'm getting is in the main .caproj itself, I take it I'll have to manually sort out conflicts with this?Wrangler2012-11-24 17:56:16
sorted...
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:01 pm

@Ashley - Is it possible to list out the file types which should not be included for versioning?
B

Post » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:25 pm

Also make sure you add "capx.backup" to your ignore list. This thing can get to be huge in size (mine is currently 14MB).
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:37 am

@msv0001 For now I have 3 types added to my .gitignore:

*.uistate.xml
*.capx.backup
*.capx.backup1

This has reduced almost all of the conflicts; the last one is the main .caproj file.
sorted...
B
S
G

Return to How do I....?