How Viable is Construct?

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:24 pm

[quote="TheInstance":32kn1z8n]He did't answer me (as usual)[/quote:32kn1z8n]

If I don't answer a thread, it's usually because I don't have time :(

[quote:32kn1z8n]No individual event sheets are a major draw back[/quote:32kn1z8n]

No they're not - I've read and I think I understand your suggestion for them, and they wouldn't make eventing more flexible. They'd be purely for organising your events in to different places. None of the things you have mentioned sound difficult, let alone impossible, with ordinary events!

Still (back to topic), another interesting point about being pre-1.0, is if you have your major frustrations or bugs or ideas, they have a decent chance of being implemented.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:49 pm

I'm very impressed by all this honest feedback and I thank all of you. The only thing that sounds like a real headache is the the events not narrowing down the scope of objects -- but I don't know how bad this actually is, so that'll be the first thing I test.

Anyways I'll be sticking around then, because even if I don't use it now, I'll hardly be able to wait to use it later. Thank you, everyone!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:05 pm

I'm honored to have you here oh lord Kayin, great creator of IWBTG.

Construct is becomming more and more stable, but it's still not stable enough to make a real game. I've been following construct since it first started to grow after the first break, and i've been trying to create games from time to time. I allways run in to some bug that makes it impossible, and one time construct crashed and ruined the .cap i was working on INCLUDING all the backups i had! (have you given up on fixing that .cap yet ash?). You should absolutely not start a big project with this program in it's current state. The best thing to do is to create small games that make use of certain things you want in your big game, and report all bugs you run into until everything works as you want it to.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:20 pm

Construct didn't ruin all your backups, object groups caused any file saved to not load. It's now fixed.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:36 pm

[quote="Attan":kpo34nmm]one time construct crashed and ruined the .cap i was working on INCLUDING all the backups i had![/quote:kpo34nmm]
Just to shed some more light on this, along the lines of what Rich was saying: we figured out a ribbon bar button corrupted the application in memory, which meant every time you hit save it saved a corrupt .cap file which would never load. I'm sorry this happened, but it's fixed now (thanks in part to your reports), and unfortunately these kinds of things happen with pre-release software :( But Construct was definitely not deliberately searching through your disk for backups and messing them up! :wink:
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:42 pm

I just started using Construct a few months ago and was impressed by its general usability, the speed of new releases, and by how active the forums are. I have never used MMF2, but I have tried gamemaker and Construct is a LOT better. I kind of agree with the suggestion not to start a big project. I would suggest to make small programs that test different features you want in your program. If you can produce all features individually, then try implementing them in a larger program. Over all, I would say to try it out and if you find a bug, report it. Then wait for Ashley to work his magic and continue.
B
G

Post » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:56 pm

Construct will aesplode the universe. The End.
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:38 am

Dude, the universe already aesploded. Where have you been? OLD!
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct Classic Discussion