How you guys keep a track on things?

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:53 am

Yo, It's all sounds good. I'm actually using all of those techniques, but maybe I should push them even further! Atm I've decided I will keep on working the current way, as even thought I have almost whole engine done, everything is working fine even thought the code is bit messy. I want to push the game out of the door asap since my license is ending in two or three weeks and I don't have any money to extend it. :/

@tulamide I didn't know that groups cause bit of delay! I suspected functions, but not groups. SO you're saying its best to just have pure event sheets? This is mine called root. Should I be even more detailed in your opinion?

My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:25 pm

No, you shouldn't. I would be glad to work on an event sheet structured so detailed.
The delay thing: I wouldn't say they are causing a delay (not in the true meaning of the word). Also, I talked of milliseconds, and even that might be too much. It's just that groups are active elements, they can be set on or off. This needs a check for every group on every tick (Imagine something like "For each group, if group is active then execute") and this adds to the length of a tick. But I really can't tell how much these checks cost. Might as well just be 2 microseconds...
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:06 pm

Thanks

You will feel the latency from 11ms up.
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:08 pm

I use event sheets and groups heavily. I like to think of it as a bit of OOP to an extent. For instance, I'll have one event sheet only for player controls. In that event sheets I heavily comment and organize things into groups (Eg. Group collisions together, group turning, group shooting stuff, etc...) It makes organization a lot easier.
Kurieus
Come visit and play Blast Box!
B
S

Post » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:29 pm

I found very useful to divide the work in micro release that I plan in advance, but no more than 5 releases per time. The reason for this is that you should see the whole big plan, but pay close attention just to the next few steps, in order to focus your strenght and energy.

At the moment I'm in a bit of rush... I'll be back later if I haven't explained myself :)
I'm not a insane, my mother had me tested

I'm an engineer. To save time, just assume I'm never wrong
B
S
G

Post » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:54 am

Cool guys :) I've started a little side project last weekend, and since I've knew it was going to be small I've didn't really gave much thought to organisation. Aaaand it was a mistake! After finishing the whole code will have to restructure it on the new event sheet for the clarity and optimization.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:39 pm

If you right click on Global Variables you can move them to another event sheet, then just copy/paste the events (even better, copy/paste Groups) you want to move to the new event sheet - hopefully that will reduce your need to restructure too much!digitalsoapbox2013-12-16 17:39:55
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas