HSL shader on Windows Phone 8.1 causes engine crash

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Minimalist Crash Balls is a game where the goal is to hit the ball on the portal, with 20 different levels :)
  • Problem Description

When adding an HSL shader effect on Windows Phone 8.1 it causes the engine to crash upon startup. It doesn't matter if the effect is on a layer or on an individual sprite. This error did not occur on Windows phone 8.0 since effects via WebGL were not supported

Description of Capx

The Capx has two spirtes and a HSL effect on a single layer.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Run the attached Capx on Windows Phone 8.1

Observed Result

An error with a stack trace is immediately thrown followed by a second error. Attached below:

Expected Result

The two sprites to be show with the values of the HSL shader reflected on the layer.

Affected Browsers

• Chrome for Android: (NO)
    • Chrome: (NO)
    • Internet Explorer on Windows 8.1: (NO)
    • Internet Explorer on Windows Phone 8.1: (YES)

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows Phone 8.1 - Lumia Denim

Construct 2 Version ID

r190

P.S. Side note. I tested a number of other shaders on WP8.1 and the half dozen I tried worked great.

Thanks!

• Afraid there's nothing we can do about this: the bug is in the Windows Phone 8.1 shader compiler. (The "Internal linking error" means IE failed to compile the shader, which AFAIK is perfectly standards compliant.)

Early versions of desktop IE were affected too, but they got fixed via Windows Update. Windows Phone is on a slower release cycle, unfortunately I think you'll just have to wait for the next update.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Bahhhh! Not the answer I was hoping for but I understand.

Two questions though. First off I was hoping I could disable the effect and only re-enable it when the system running the game is not WP8.1. I tried this but it still crashes even if the effect is disabled on start. I'm guessing this has to do something with compiling the shaders? Are there any ways you can think around this so I can still maintain one codebase?

Second question is will you be submitting a bug report for this? If not do you know where I can submit and what information I should include in the ticket?

Thanks!

• C2 compiles all shaders the project uses on startup, so I'm afraid it will crash on WP8.1 if the shader is used anywhere in the project.

I'm not sure there's much point filing a bug report since as far as I can tell it's already fixed (since the latest IE is not affected) - the only problem is the fix hasn't reached WP8.1 since it's on a much slower cycle. So it's just a matter of waiting for the already-fixed code to reach devices.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)