HTML5 and the battle for the browser

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • Hi All,

I thought this article may be of interest to some of you, looking at social, mobile and online gaming, the diversification of platforms and the role of HTML5 - check it out:

Here's the article

• Thanks, Andy, for posting the link! I thought this was an interesting and insightful article. I don't know if I agree with the 18-24 months estimate, but HTML5 (and acceptance) is definitely moving ahead in huge strides. :)

• AndyWatson Thanks for the heads-up.

Wisest words in the article:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font color=blue>"It's probably just a waiting game," adds Moore [Kevin Moore, Pixel Labs>. "In 1995 ordering a pizza online seemed ridiculous, but today I do it all the time - I never call a pizza place any more. It's not going to be 15 years [for HTML5>; it's going to be 18 months or 2 years, and the question isn't going to be, 'Can we do this in the browser?' It's going to be, 'Do we have to do it out of the browser?' Early days yet! And one day, we'll all be able to say, "I was present at the creation (thanks to Scirra and Construct 2)".

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • lol see you guys in 2 years then.

• In my opinion :

oodale believes that HTML5 still needs a "marquee experience"; a game that can highlight the potential of the platform in the same way that, say, Wii Sports did for the Nintendo Wii.

"Once we have that, I think you'll see the pace of innovation quicken. I think you'll see developer adoption quicken."

Those words describe the situation.

The 2 years time limit sounds like a bit much imo.

As soon as the "marquee app" mentioned hit recognition, give it 6 months for the device makers to align themselve.

It's a downer for me that, at the moment, mobile devices can't handle html5 gaming as they should.

I believe we will see this app/game during this year though. I'd really like it to come from the C2 community too, that would be a hell of a "2 birds 1 stone".

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)