HTML5 is NOT right tool to make mobile games

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:26 am

I would like to share my experiences how I worked a lot of mobile games for my customers also it has do to with HTML5 frameworks and Construct 2 IDE, you may consider this as my personal verdict:

• It’s slower than native code by about 70%
  • It’s slower than x86 C/C++ by about 50%
  • The most viable method for it to get faster is by using the hardware to desktop level performance. It could be viable long-term, but it’s looking like a pretty long wait.
  • Garbage collection for mobile is WORSE. Actually, it's really way worse than it is in desktop level.
  • The language itself doesn’t seem to be getting faster these days, and people who are working on it are saying that with the current language and APIs, it will never be as fast as native code.
  • Every competent mobile developer would waste a great time thinking about the memory performance of the target device.
  • asm.js may be another solution, but if they win you will be using native language or similar old language as a frontend, more than something high level like JavaScript.
  • Javascript is too slow for mobile app use in 2013. If we get new devices were built in 2014, it may be better but Javascript looks "faster as native" in 2020.

I believe we should develop the games for desktop, if you want to develop big games for mobile, please forget it and try to find another native language could work with your big game design.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:35 am

I love Construct 2 for what it can do in regards to prototyping and basic design, but as a noob, it's definitely been a bit of a nightmare trying to understand moving things over to mobile.
B
S

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:02 am

Saying its slower by 50% is fine and good, but at some point, enough performance is enough, no? I mean if you have enough performance to make a game run 60 fps with a lot of animated sprites, collision checks, particles, that there is enough to make a great game of almost any genre.

Is it good to make huge games with massive assets? Heck no. It's limited by the worse memory management for that.
Is it good to make games with many thousands of onscreen sprites and particles? Heck no. It's limited by its slower performance.

But you can do a lot, if you limit yourself to a reasonable number of objects, say 1,000 objects onscreen, it will run even on older devices fast.

I was recently testing some stuff on the chrome browser on a Nexus 7, that thing eats JS and spits it out like nothing. The hardware is getting so powerful these days. If anything, its the lack of features, ie. AdMob, Google Play Social plugins etc that is the letdown rather than raw performance.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:24 am

Well I've started a devlog for my slow burn larger mobile game. I've made claims offer opinions time to dance on stage :)

My devlog can reached from my sig image Derelict On-Line Project.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:30 am

@deviever Same here, Construct 2 has best visual scripting ever but I hate how it's only for HTML5

@Silverforce Yes, you make reasonable facts, gameplay is more important than graphics but without a lot of graphics as content doesn't offer higher replay value, you're talking about simple games that no one would like to replay... until it's totally innovative (No, it's not like flappy bird.)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:34 am

Would somebody please define what a mobile game is?

I mean I must be missing something, because I thought they were games that worked on mobile devices.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:44 am

@newt

1- Google it

2- Heavy games with HTML5 technology don't guarantee to work on mobile devices unless simple games would be enough.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:40 am

Guys, you know what... if we all could just design good games FOR mobile. It is not the best platform for big, "robust" games!

To give an example, I bought Oceanhorn the day it was released. It is "robust", super pretty and runs 60fps even on iPhone 4S. The thing is, they really should've released it on consoles. I played it for an hour, then just quit and never looked back. I do not want to play big games on my phone.

Then, look at Threes! Brilliant, polished, tiny, definitely NOT "robust" and designed to be played in small bursts... a perfect game for mobile devices.

The perfomance is not always the problem.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:49 am

Speaking of Google, have you done any research as to what types of games are the best performers monetarily?
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:02 am

Did you ask me or OP? Threes! is in the US top 10 at the moment...

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/PocketGamer.biz/feature.asp?c=57311
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General