HTML5 is NOT right tool to make mobile games

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:11 am

Tylermon wrote:
Joannesalfa wrote:@Tylermon Actually I disagree with you but there is no need to debate the issue.

Then add to the discussion. You literally have a thread driven for debate and discussion on the topic. Picking and choosing which views to refute or rather dismiss hardly helps people make a decent decision on Html5 being or not being the right tool for their needs. It is possible I am not aware of some aspect of html5 that you are, or perhaps I know something about html5 that you didnt. I only ask you share your opinions because everyone can benefit and then form their own.

---------Back on the topic of Html5 vs Native----------
One is more than welcome to develop IOS apps in xcode, and then rewrite the same app for android, and write it again for windows. But most developers don't have that amount of time.
Html5 has a huge advantage of being written once and working on every device. For near native app performance simply use a wrapper and make a hybrid app platform specific.

Is Html5 perfect for every situation? Absolutely not. When you cross a line into needing high security and high performance. Native code is your best option...at least for now. And some platform specific features are not available from html5 based apps(yet).
But if getting to a market quickly and cost effectively for near native-like performance is what one desires. Html5+wrapper of choice is perfect.


I do have to say however, if one intends only to publish to lets say the apple store. One market, on only a handful of devices they should be making native apps.
---------------------------
And on the topic of fragmenting.

Html5 does have it pretty hard here. There are many browsers to consider, and each offer more or less functionality than the other. This is often a challenge with Mobile web apps. However, wrappers help negate some of those issues.

That does not go without saying that native apps don't have to worry about fragmentation. Just think of how many IOS versions are out there. Each version needing to be maintained. This goes for android and windows as well.

I still have to say fragmenting and these browser and device differences is the hardest part about Html5 development.

In the end it really comes down to personal needs. I wouldn't say "HTML5 is NOT [the] right tool to make mobile games". I might say 'Html5 is NOT the BEST tool to make mobile games' But I would say 'Html5 IS the BEST tool to make cross platform games'.



I'm sorry, name of this title is limited by characters, I would have written as "HTML5 is NOT the right tool to make complex mobile games" and got an error due to character limit on this forum, then I had no choice and I left this name as simple of this current thread title.

Yes, we know HTML5 does like write once and run anywhere IF some browsers support, it's much like Java vm.

You was right about native, isn't designed for cross-platfrom that we have to write objective-c for iOS devices, then rewrite Java for android and rewrite C# for windows phone, it's big waste of time. That's why HTML5 is best option for cross platform but it has the worst enemy is performance.

The experience about Facebook tried to create own mobile app using HTML5 and they noticed it was terrible mistake due to lack of features, no information about performance but they mentioned about quality, then they decided to write own native app for each platform such as android and ios.

However, I believe the future of HTML5, the problem is we have to wait longer than we expected.

You know why a lot of C2 users post here about mobile performance... frequently

I'm trying to tell simple games would work for mobile devices, otherwise complex game is risky and not ideal.
B
99
S
35
G
29
Posts: 3,139
Reputation: 28,421

Post » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:04 am

@Joannesalfa That Facebook incident was a long time ago now, times have moved on, HTML5 and JS have gotten much faster AND mobile CPU/GPU have improved so much.

"You know why a lot of C2 users post here about mobile performance... frequently"
Most of the time its because they did a horrible job of optimizing. C2's speed & ease of usage in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to optimize games for mobiles = recipe for a disaster real quick.

You don't have to look far, just the most recent complaint about lack of Direct X in C2 as an excuse for his game running poorly... turns out the game is just poorly optimized.
B
70
S
24
G
19
Posts: 1,757
Reputation: 17,616

Post » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:17 am

@Silverforce Yeah, that's shame but being novice don't really have experience about performance.

I've read a thread about DirectX in C2, it contains dunning-kruger effect. I wouldn't reply there.
B
99
S
35
G
29
Posts: 3,139
Reputation: 28,421

Post » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:21 am

@Joannesalfa, LOL! I had to look that up - spot on assessment.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
76
S
20
G
74
Posts: 2,245
Reputation: 46,464

Post » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:31 am

Joannesalfa wrote:it contains dunning-kruger effect. I wouldn't reply there.

The dunning-kruger effect is dodgy for the following reason.

Suppose you're in the bottom 10% in any given task. You can't underestimate your performance now, can you?
More importantly, if you're in the top 10%, you're not able to overestimate your performance.

As such, it's impossible for the lowest performers to do anything but overestimate, and the reverse for the highest performers. And as such, it's real dodgy reasoning.
B
27
S
9
G
2
Posts: 154
Reputation: 2,838

Post » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:53 am

Only true for individuals with a poor sense of self awareness. In either case I would rather debate with the top 10% who thinks he's not at the top (humble or unassuming) than the converse with the bottom 10%...
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
76
S
20
G
74
Posts: 2,245
Reputation: 46,464

Post » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:08 pm

Aurora Australis wrote:
Joannesalfa wrote:it contains dunning-kruger effect. I wouldn't reply there.

The dunning-kruger effect is dodgy for the following reason.

Suppose you're in the bottom 10% in any given task. You can't underestimate your performance now, can you?
More importantly, if you're in the top 10%, you're not able to overestimate your performance.

As such, it's impossible for the lowest performers to do anything but overestimate, and the reverse for the highest performers. And as such, it's real dodgy reasoning.


It's not dodgy thing, it's about common knowledge without research, like someone says a game can run better with directx on mac or linux. Why I would post there if I say he's wrong? I dont like to discuss about right or wrong. Everyone has own opinions.

Stop.
B
99
S
35
G
29
Posts: 3,139
Reputation: 28,421

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AthleticDesign and 16 guests