HTML5 is NOT right tool to make mobile games

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:05 am

I think @robotecollective hit the nail on the head here.

The greatest mobile games haven't needed to be huge, it just isn't platform appropriate.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:14 am

It was for Joannesalfa.

I mean the idea of making a "big" game on a cell phone is kinda like Facebook buying out Occulus Rift.

Its not that it can't happen, it just doesn't make much sense.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:17 am

Yeah, ok! I somehow managed to look right past the word "Google" on your post, haha. I think I need a new cup of coffee.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:26 am

I've saw great game on the NES, on the Megadrive, on the Master system
I'm pretty sure those can be done in Mobile HTML5
(you'd say it can be done with time and caution? how do you think they were made before?)

"Every competent mobile developer would waste a great time thinking about the memory performance of the target device."

In native too I think, mobile are like PC's, they are a huge collection of different hardware and software, heck, I think it can be even worse than PC.

Maybe It is because I am talking about mobile HTML5 in a browser, doing multiplatform is always a pain, I think it is the only thing C2 doesn't make as transparent, where other engine makes it invisible (although C2 does a great job at that)

At the end, people can use their compatible browser, go to my game, play it, without worrying about installing things, and if the game is optimised well, there aren't too much problems (some might say that some phones cannot run HTML5 properly, I have one like that, even the home screen sometimes have slowdown, so I do not worry a lot, for now, I didn't had a lot of issues at all, the only one was the non support of the audio API)

At the end, mobile HTML5 is doable on mobile, is it worth it? Well, why go HTML5 if you just want to do a game to place it on mobile stores only (I know, because C2 is great and it's a shame it doesn't do everything the way some people think it should, because it is the best but export is cr*p because HTML5 is not good etc etc)

At the end, I see that people want to C2, but don't want to HTML5 (I might be the only one who didn't care at al for mobile at first)

PS: I am not talking at all about cocoonJS, I will never use it anyway, because I'd lost the benefit of HTML5, yet still would have to support it as a new platform, which would not be great since it's memory management

EDIT:Didn't meant to sound rude, just tired of all of those
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:49 am

I made game using C2 for a mobile device (iOS). It works super!!!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:45 am

Joannesalfa wrote:@Silverforce Yes, you make reasonable facts, gameplay is more important than graphics but without a lot of graphics as content doesn't offer higher replay value, you're talking about simple games that no one would like to replay... until it's totally innovative (No, it's not like flappy bird.)

No, I'm NOT talking about simple games that no one would like to replay... what makes you assume such a thing?

Having 1,000 sprites on the screen as a limit to developing a game goes a bloody long way. Think of a good RPG, how many objects are on screen at any one time? 300 is more than enough. RPGs and RTS are generally regarded as the most complex genres.

Have a look at these examples,
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ikeyshorts

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ox.android

Is there a reason why you think Construct 2 won't be able to make such a game? There's so many hit games I look on the Google Play store and think immediate "gee, that could be made with C2 for sure!".

Edit: Here's my current project, a sandbox space RTS! Of all things to make with "simple" C2, making a sandbox RTS I wouldn't consider it simple or lacking in replay-ability.

Alpha footage of game mechanics, lots of particles used, independent turrets, faction AI and pathfind, game runs very well on older devices, tegra 3, samsung s3 etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMfRuUMKE2I
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:11 am

i'm still making games for mobile with C2, most newer device should have no problem handle it(iphone4s onwards), even if the performance is fine, i notice games made with C2 drains more battery power than others, probably it requires extra cpu power to run? felt like running some heavy load 3d game when playing my simple C2 game on mobile :/

anyways, i'm not making any huge game at the moment, so there are probably more shortage in C2 i haven't come across yet.
Doo Doo Diving App Store | Google Play

Donut Pirate App Store | Google Play
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:15 am

@hollowthreat Yes it strains the CPU more especially, since the code is less efficient, it takes more compute power to get it to run at 60 fps. Thus it drains battery faster.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:47 am

My C2 game runs great on Android, and it's quite an intensive 2D physics game with hires textures and 1080p graphics.

I'm getting 56 to 60 fps on a Google Nexus 7" (2013) 2nd Gen... It's very smooth like silky butter!

I added the CocoonJS object to my project, and exported as CocoonJS, then Ludei compiled the .APK file, i installed the file on my android tablet and i was surprised just how smooth it was.

So much for all that ranting i've been hearing on these forums about performance not being good enough, maybe stop testing on a 5-year old phone and buy a newer one, my tablet was $288 at Officeworks brand new.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:22 pm

In my experience, there are some things that just don't work consistently on mobiles in HTML5 - with or without the use of cocoonjs, crosswalk, chrome or whatever. This is some of my experience using C2 for mobile (which was what I bought it for, discussion about viability of 3rd party wrappers aside):

1. Physics. Collisions cause browser hesitations even in my quad core super mobile (I have an LG G, a Samsung S2, iPhone 4 and Toshiba Excite for testing). These hesitations change the characteristics of the physics objects (how high they bounce etc) enough that a player A could do or see things that a player B on a different phone might not. Games using physics on mobile are not viable unless you don't care that different players might see or do different things. I do if it changes the game play...
2. Platform. Same as 1 but to a lesser extent. Any browser slowdowns cause changes in how the behavior appears so that the player's experience ultimately depends on something I have no control over - what type of phone they bought.

C2 and HTML5 do other things well, but these are the weakest ares I think. Even my flappy bird clone runs differently on each of my test devices and that only uses custom movement! If I test anything made using Unity then these problems of handset performance and compatibility don't seem apparent...

Edit:
@eddydingdongs, not everyone owns a top of the range android / iOS device like yours and I can't ask my potential customers to go and buy one before downloading a game. If everyone did have one already then there would be no need for this thread...
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General