Hungry Flapping Bird

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
The "Flying bird" game assets. The characters have been created with inspiration from popular mobile games
  • Introduction

Umm hi everyone.. I'm new member here and i just purchased the personal license like 2 days ago..

So, my first try to make a game is...

Another Flapping Bird.. I know i know you guys bored with this kind of stuff, but i need to "taste" the Construct 2's tools for a while and get used to it,, so my only option is doing the easiest thing and Flappy Bird came across my mind

I've posted it in the Arcade, here is the link with total play (currently) 80-ish..

Idk, i think people still enjoying that kind of stuff (lol)..

Hungry Flapping BirdTo The Point!

The reasons why i post my game here is because this game is still "on going", there are some things i wanna add to that game, hope i could get some tools/resources/feedacks from you guys (especially the seniors here and who have already make a profit from their games).

Here are some things i wanna upgrade / add from my current game :

Layout / Design / Feature

1. I want to make a loading screen, but i don't have any idea how to do it.

I mean, when you play a game in Android or wherever it is you always get the loading screen with something rolling on the screen or loading bar on it.

Q : So, now i want to add 1-2 loading screen and hope you guys could help me out with some tools or advice how to make a simple progress bar.

2. I want to add a feature like Multi user, but not multiplayer, more like multi profile.

In this feature many profile could be created and the accumulation of scores are bound to each of their profiles.

Then, their scores are accumulated and can be useful to purchase upgrade.

Q : How can i save a profile into deviwice / embedded database like sqlite or something?

The Upgrade

I know it sounds silly, but i really wanna add some upgrade to the bird. Like you can buy a hat with your accumulated scores (which bound to each profile), or you can buy a steel wing attached to the bird so when you play the bird is now using hat and steel wings..

When i think about it, yes it seems silly but the other hand it's awesome

Note :

I'm adding these features is to learn how to make things in this game, after i learned all of that i think i could go on with another project.

Oh last one thing, i'm not fully depending on you guys' advice, i'm also searching the tools n resources myself, but it would be great if someone point out the right tutorial/source for me!

Thank you for taking concern on this post.

Sorry for my english, not my native language and still trying to speak better.

Here are some printscreen for ya!

Cover

My High Score is 4

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • ok to your first question about a loading screen.. here is how you do it..

1. make a new scene and call it whatever you want "loading screen" or whatever

2. open a layout (doesn't matter which) and click anywhere that isn't an ojbect (empty space)

3. look to the left and you'll see in the list of layout properties a "Project Properties" and view underlined.. click it

4. look under Project Settings and below that you'll see "First Layout". This is where you select your loading screen to be the first thing to load rather than what you have currently.

Once you have your loading screen doing what you want it to do, you would use "go to layout" in that event sheet to get back to your game scene.

as for a loading bar, there is a default one that you can set.. its a little lower in the same project properties.. look for "Loader Style". I like to use "Progress Bar Only" as this de-brands the C2 logo from the preloader screen..

Anything more is probably more work than needed honestly. If you want to talk about profits, one thing you need to keep in mind is to learn how to make your games quick. Don't get caught up in the details that don't pertain to your game any more than you have too. Sure the deeper your game gets and the more epic the more you might raise the bar of other things, but for causal games, I wouldn't get too concerned about making custom preloader bars.. not that they are probably

as for the 2nd profile thing, basically what you need to look into is "webstorage" which is where you save data as a cookie to your browser.. the good news is that this storage system carries over to mobile devices from what I've seen. Its not a database like you're thinking, but it is a way to store various information and then retrieve that information.. I've not used it as extensively as your idea would require, but i it would still server the purpose.

As I read more though about what you have in mind, you might need to also look into using some tables of information which can be done as well although I'm not experienced in that stuff.. but imagine you have a table with all of the possible items and an ID system.. then all you track is if any one of those upgrades are "on" or "off" and then appear when turned on by a store bought action..

I'm not a senior developer, I'm asking plenty of questions for my games as well. It's good to take a game and build on it, but also don't be afraid to sometimes start over if your scope grows too much. sometimes the game you start with can hold back the game you want it to become later due to how you structured things.

Also one last tip that is off topic but if you're new, you might not know about it. When I started my first serious project, I had all my logic in each layout event sheet that pertained to that layout.. What you can do is actually bundle specific code for specific things into specific event sheets.. then the main event sheet associated with a given layout you're in you can "include event sheet" and add all of those

I also found it nice to put all of the global vars in a "vars" event sheet to keep them all in one place.. this is really good for making changes easier.. for example.. if you have a custom mouse.. and it had mouse over effects and such.. could all be in a "mouse" event sheet. then if you ever want to make changes to the mouse, you go there and it effects how the mouse behaves everywhere.. vs putting the mouse logic in each event sheet.

Good luck!

Caleb

• Awesome, this is the kind of feedback i expect

I think i will stay in this forum for long (i'm not quite a forum person actually).

Loading Screen Q&A

[quote:12gf7uuj]

ok to your first question about a loading screen.. here is how you do it..

1. make a new scene and call it whatever you want "loading screen" or whatever

2. open a layout (doesn't matter which) and click anywhere that isn't an ojbect (empty space)

3. look to the left and you'll see in the list of layout properties a "Project Properties" and view underlined.. click it

4. look under Project Settings and below that you'll see "First Layout". This is where you select your loading screen to be the first thing to load rather than what you have currently.

Thank you, i already understand about layout things. But thank you again, you are so kind.

[quote:12gf7uuj]as for a loading bar, there is a default one that you can set.. its a little lower in the same project properties.. look for "Loader Style". I like to use "Progress Bar Only" as this de-brands the C2 logo from the preloader screen..

This is what i mean by loading screen & progress bar, thank you again dude, you've made me clear.

I think i would go for the default C2 Logo cause it's more simple like you said.

Database

[quote:12gf7uuj]As I read more though about what you have in mind, you might need to also look into using some tables of information which can be done as well although I'm not experienced in that stuff.. but imagine you have a table with all of the possible items and an ID system.. then all you track is if any one of those upgrades are "on" or "off" and then appear when turned on by a store bought action..

I get what you mean by building a table. Like some kind child-parents relationship table, i've done quite enough on my VB.NET project and understand about it.

But, I'm more interested to learn how the "save" action works. Cause you know, i don't want to save the "whole" things like the bird position or something, i just wanna "store" the scores and i can "get" it whenever i want. Like "set" and "get" in encapsulation, the problem is i don't understand how to save only a variable to the local storage. Thank you for your feedback on this, i've found an article about webstorage like you said, and it makes me more clear now. Though still have to do some experiment on it.

So much thank for you again!

Layout Oriented Event Sheet Vs. Object Oriented Event sheet

[quote:12gf7uuj]I also found it nice to put all of the global vars in a "vars" event sheet to keep them all in one place.. this is really good for making changes easier.. for example.. if you have a custom mouse.. and it had mouse over effects and such.. could all be in a "mouse" event sheet. then if you ever want to make changes to the mouse, you go there and it effects how the mouse behaves everywhere.. vs putting the mouse logic in each event sheet.

Quite a good method, i think i'm gonna try this too, it makes more easier i guess. When you want to make change to mouse behaviour, you can just go to the specific sheet. Man, this is awesome!

Well done, i've got quite a lot of new things from my first post today

Thank you so much for giving me feedback on this "simple" project of mine, Caleb!

• cool glad to help.. and yea back to your questions about storing data try out the webstorage object. add it to your project and you'll see some options. it makes it very easy to store data and recall that data. for web games there are no permanent solutions to save data that i'm aware of unless you want to use something like Azure or other web services (they have a plugin for azure which is pretty awesome, but i haven't delved into it just yet)

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/266/we ... nformation here is a webstorage tutorial.. one thing that i'm not 100% sure is in this tutorial, but remember when your project starts, do a check if there are the web storage entities yet when you start in order to save the data initially..

when you run your game for the first time, these webstorage entities do not exist and are not able to be saved too unless they exist.. so what i do is a check for my high score at the start of each game..

but the catch that's not obvious to a new person is that you do the opposite.. there is a "local key exists" check.. but you INVERT it. so when the game looks it says.. does this NOT exist and if it doesn't.. go make it.. this kinda messed with me the first time i tried to do webstorage awhile back..

once it exists, its very easy to push data too it and retrieve whenever you need it.

• Aight! Thank you so much, Caleb!

Still figuring it out now, have so much to learn in here

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)