I am a GameMaker user, I think that...

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:33 pm

Plus BoyHK, there is a free tool to convert HTML5 games into native iOS and Android apps, this even includes developing for iOS from a windows machine. The tool is called AppMobi, you should check it out.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:18 pm

[Quote]
[quote]If Construct 2 wants to compete with GameMaker, detailed official tutorials for different types of games in PDF format are really necessary.[/quote]
We realise the high importance of tutorials and documentation and we're hoping to get all that written up and documented ASAP. Have you also seen the Beginner's Guide? It's not in PDF format, but is the format of the tutorial that important? I guess I could make a PDF if there's some advantage to it.[/QUOTE]
I'm already working on a couple of those.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:06 am

[QUOTE=yankeesbro] Plus BoyHK, there is a free tool to convert HTML5 games into native iOS and Android apps, this even includes developing for iOS from a windows machine. The tool is called AppMobi, you should check it out.[/QUOTE]

Alternatively, www.appcelerator.com it's open source version.

I tried to convert html5 to exe using Titanium Studio... the C2 game won't run, it's weird.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:47 am

To put some perspective on the Flash/HTML5 thing (mostly for Vicu, but some of you might might enough this), Flash and HTML5 are not equivalent platforms. HTML5 isn't a 'thing' or discrete entity like Flash is. HTML5 standards for browsers just bring together a combination of features (Canvas element, faster javascript) that allow for flash like features.

To say HTML5 can go down the same dark path flash did in the realm of performance and bloat is sorta a silly misunderstanding. It would be like someone saying "Oh well C++ has gotten so bloated over the years". Adobe makes a product and authoring tools for that product. They expand it and they add new features to their authoring tool that makes the fast majority of Flash content.

HTML5 is just a bunch of tools. No one is controlling javascript. You have unlimited potential there, you just need implementation. Flash's advantage currently is it has a well developed authoring tool. HTML5, just being a collection of standards and a real programming language is something that is, at this point, potential Construct has the benefit of being one of the first tools help make HTML5 content, especially for games. That's both big for Scirra and great for developers. Flash WILL die. Even adobe knows this, which is why Adobe Flash Professional has HTML5 export abilities (or at least some sort of converter, I don't remember). Even if their platform dies, they can still monetize their tool. It's hard to compete with an open standard that has many advantages and very few drawbacks, it's just a matter of time. When enough folks in the content creation market are skiled in HTML5 and it's deployment and when things become more cost effective, things will change. HTML5 will only improve as content creation tools are made to support it and as browsers improve performance.

Flash still has some advantages now. They come in discrete, independent files which can be used as standalone executables, for example. You know things will behave the same on any platform. But since html5 is a very open standard, as soon as someone comes up with a good way to package something made in html5 as a single, easily embedded, clean entity, it'll happen. People will want this to make it easier to upload games to places like kongregate easily and more securely. But if I were to guess, I'd say there are probably ways to do it right now. The question is more about which implementations will end up being the most popular and well supported.

So while Flash and HTML5 cover a lot of similar functionality they are very much NOT analogous platforms and there is little reason to expect them to share similar histories. HTML5 is a specification, flash is NOT. Flash has a single vendor, HTML5 either has no vendor or many vendors depending on how you look at it. It would be like saying HTML4 and PDF are similar "Things" with similar histories.

But anyways, I hate webgames! So whats the vague timeline for exe-export? If it's anywhere within the next year I'll be thrilled.

kayin2011-08-26 04:01:16
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:31 am

AFAIK, HTML5 doesn't allow you to choose point or linear sampling for your game, it depends on browser. It's may be a critical factor for game developers who working with pixel art style. In fact, most of 2D games are made with pixel art, even if they doesn't look pixeleted, and so, no one wants to get blured graphics in their game
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:39 am

[QUOTE=kayin] To put some perspective on the Flash/HTML5 thing..

But anyways, I hate webgames!

[/QUOTE]

That was a good speech.. right until that last detail.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:29 am

Hahah, I don't want to hate on anyone who cares about web games. It is the future and the direction most people are working in! But my ideas and thought processes do not lend themselves to the whole 'web' thing. Having people play a 50-100 megabyte game online (Especially one you sorta wanna just sell on steam or something) can be logistically obnoxious and lead to poor user experiences with load times and the like.

So I don't want to say web games are bad. I'm just saying that I don't have a horse in this race.kayin2011-08-26 06:30:18
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:35 am

HTML5 is still developing, not as 100%.

Just wait to 2014, W3C says it's recommendation for the full specification.Joannesalfa2011-08-26 06:36:51
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:33 am

I have read different opinions from different people in this thread. Thank you very much!BoyHK2011-08-26 10:33:29
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:22 pm

[QUOTE=Vicu] I think Flash better than HTML5, flash is faster, more powerful, more common, and supports 3D. But HTML are very slow and not powerful. And I think that the idea of ??HTML5 was a failure, flash is much better! And so we should not forget about Ekse, because it is the fastest exporter at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Comparing HTML5 to Flash seems a bit unfair to me. Flash has had time to evolve and reinvent itself many times over, whereas HTML5 is a new medium who has only just begun.

I've had the opportunity to work with Flash over the years in web development, and as much as I might love it, web design changes very quickly over time, and Adobe sure doesn't make Flash cheap, so I can't always stick to the same tools over time. (Unless I wanted to keep making websites with animated gifs a la 1996)

Tools are just that, tools, and the idea of a tool that lets me make something viewable on my desktop, netbook and cellphone, out of the box, is a pretty big one.

On topic with BoyHK, I think a few more exporters would definitely be awesome in the near future. Perhaps Android and IOS, since the mobile market is freaking expanding at a ridiculous rate.
B
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General