I am a GameMaker user, I think that...

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:55 am

In my day job I am a website programmer. Php and MySQL mainly. CSS and Javascript also.

As far as I'm concerned, flash is a dying technology and for very good reasons such as:

1. File bloat
2. Insane coding concepts.
3. Apple products (iphone, ipadetc) don't support flash

While HTML5 is young, most people that you care about, have an upgraded browser.

My feeling is that smart phones will take over the world for most users.

For this reason coding in software that exports to HTML5 is not a silly idea.

If you have an issue with HTML5 export - go for one of the other game making programs on the market.

After researching quite a number of game maker tools (I even emailed the dev's of several indie games) I settled on Construct2 for these reasons:

1. It exports to HTML5 natively
2. HTML5 export is a near step to iphone and android export
3. I don't have the time to learn a 3D game making program
4. I can't be bothered to custom code - I do that enough in my day job. (after all if you are custom coding then why do you have an engine?)

Post » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:39 pm

I'm happy to see there's more people wanting a EXE exporter for C2. Maybe with more of us, the development process for it will be faster.

As someone else, said, web games aren't my thing either. My current project will not be a small game and it would be overkill as a HTML5 game. I'm sure this is the case for many others. Having an EXE and HTML5 export is surely a way to attract two different groups of developers, from two different worlds. I'm not saying that I will never develop for web, but it is not my primary interest or even an interest at all right now. EXEs with online capabilities are a much more interesting deal to me than web games, although I am not interested in that either. I just want to be able to use C2, not CC, not MMF, not GM, for good old EXE games.

Post » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:00 pm

I just want an easy to use, solid, dev tool with cross-platform exporters. :)

Return to Construct 2 General