I got a free apple from work :D

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:38 am

So I heard I was coming around your house to BURN IT WITH FIRE!!!

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:53 am

Man I cant get anything to work...I have a DVD which has Corel Painter and Photoshop Elements on it, and it says its for Windows and Mac....I put the DVD in and nothing happens....so I took the stuff off the CD and put it onto a thumbdrive (using windows) and the thumb drive works but theres no file to double click that mac seems to recognise. On windows executable files are called exe...what are they called on a mac because the exe is an unrecognised format...

I wonder if I should buy 10.5.5 for the mac and install it...or are apples different and the only way to upgrade is to throw it away and buy a new one?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:01 am

I think .exe for mac is .app

I don't have a mac or use one, but that's what I understand it to be.

The .app file could also be located within a .dmg file.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:57 am

Mac uses package managed install system, so the install files aren't executable programs, they are .dmg files.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:35 pm

[quote="David":2q958xmy]I'm a windows user through and through but today the IT guy at work gave me apple! I work at a newspaper creating adverts[/quote:2q958xmy]Cool, same job as I do, designing adverts for a newspaper company. They never gave me a Mac though. Maybe they would if I did something wrong though, like a punishment or something.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:26 pm

You sure it's a DVD drive? At that point apple was still selling macs with CD burners OR DVD drives.

Edit: Reread original post with testing a DVD. You might want to do a clean wipe and start from scratch. Sometimes used macs can act funny.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:11 am

[quote="AsparagusTrevor":3b976m8z][quote="David":3b976m8z]I'm a windows user through and through but today the IT guy at work gave me apple! I work at a newspaper creating adverts[/quote:3b976m8z]Cool, same job as I do, designing adverts for a newspaper company. They never gave me a Mac though. Maybe they would if I did something wrong though, like a punishment or something.[/quote:3b976m8z]
Ah awesome! :D I wonder how similar it is to my job...do you have sales reps and are they annoying and try to get you to do the impossible....like open a photo of a businesses building that was taken on a VGA camera phone, and expect you to extract the logo off of the window of the business :P ?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:22 am

Well I've completely stuffed the apple now. I selected a resolution that my monitor doesn't support by accident, and whereas on windows when you change resolution if you dont press anything for 10 seconds to reverts to the old resolution...seems the apple doesn't! :( I just have a big red screen saying 'Signal frequency out of range'....sigh

Ah a restart fixed it :)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:07 pm

Even Microsoft uses Apple computers for a lot of their media. I have both and prefer neither one more than the other. Windows has two issues for every one issue Apple has, but I still find I can swap them and be fine.

I like the naming schemes for both with file types though ... execute ... damage ... good stuff. (I know they don't translate exactly as such, but they may as well)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:14 pm

[quote="David":o2n98dtj][quote="AsparagusTrevor":o2n98dtj][quote="David":o2n98dtj]I'm a windows user through and through but today the IT guy at work gave me apple! I work at a newspaper creating adverts[/quote:o2n98dtj]Cool, same job as I do, designing adverts for a newspaper company. They never gave me a Mac though. Maybe they would if I did something wrong though, like a punishment or something.[/quote:o2n98dtj]
Ah awesome! :D I wonder how similar it is to my job...do you have sales reps and are they annoying and try to get you to do the impossible....like open a photo of a businesses building that was taken on a VGA camera phone, and expect you to extract the logo off of the window of the business :P ?[/quote:o2n98dtj]Yeah, that's pretty much it. The sales reps don't have a clue what it actually possible, and they can be so ridiculously stupid sometimes. Once I was provided with a scanned in photo for a birthday advert, and they'd scanned it with a paperclip going over the guy's whole face! When I queried it, they rep asked, 'Can't you just take it off?' Yeah, I'll just reach into the screen and slide the paperclip off!
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic