I just don't get it...(performance question)

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:09 pm

@Ashley Well, thanks for ruining my game Ash.... You see I decided to check the performance link you gave me, and I figured I'd take care of some of the easier ones, so I started with "Avoid objects with large areas of transparency." and guess what happened?!?!
After I shift+croped my assets every level that wasn't currently opened got fucked up! Weeks of work down the drain.... And of course I had to notice it only after I just finished the last level, saved and closed C2, so now I can't even go back and freaking undo it! I have to manually fix every element on each of those levels and reinput their normal/initial size.
Well mate, when you have any other bright ideas let me know, I'll be sure to jump right on them.

P.S. If I sound bitter, that's because I am.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:26 pm

VIKINGS wrote:@Ashley Well, thanks for ruining my game Ash....

You can't blame him, because you changed your project without first checking what effect will that cause. Not to mention not using C2's backup system.

Next time I recommend saving the project with C2's backup system (2 or 3 should be enough), and if you have an acceptable size of cloud storage, you should save your project there (Dropbox has a 30 day file restore option for example).
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:56 pm

glerikud wrote:
VIKINGS wrote:@Ashley Well, thanks for ruining my game Ash....

You can't blame him, because you changed your project without first checking what effect will that cause. Not to mention not using C2's backup system.

Next time I recommend saving the project with C2's backup system (2 or 3 should be enough), and if you have an acceptable size of cloud storage, you should save your project there (Dropbox has a 30 day file restore option for example).

I don't use the backup that much, but whenever I am about to do something that I may not like or may have unknown results, I save the project under a new name such as v1, v2, a, b, whatever. Then, if I don't like it, I can just go back to my previous file. It's much easier than trying to hit undo a ton of times or hoping I don't save over something and break it.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:33 pm

Ok, I've calmed down a bit, I've been told I might have a problem with impulse control, who knows.
So yeah, maybe it's not his fault, sorry Ashley, but glerikud, Drew you guys are getting all it wrong.
It's not that I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I knew exactly what I was doing, and understood perfectly what was supposed to happen, this is a bug.

When you open up an object that has multiple animation frames and you press shift+crop it's supposed to remove the transparent pixels on all the animation frames. And it did, but only on the layouts that where active at the time! :( On every other layout that had those objects that wasn't opened it bugged out, and instead of croping them it resized them to some very blurry, ugly, 128x128 or 64x64 sizes. What's even more puzzeling is that none of those bloody sprites where 128 or 64 to begin with.

So what I have to do now is jot down the correct sizes of every frame of every object from the layouts where the croping worked, and go to all of the other layouts and manually change each object(we're talking about hundreds of instances) to the correct size that the crop should have made them!....

So was I wrong to blame Ashley, maybe(depends on wether or not he knew about this bug imo, cause he could have given me a heads up), and if so I apologize, but considering how much extra work I have to do now, and how much time and effort I put into it in the first place getting everything set up just perfect, I think my fustration should be understandable...

And yeah, I get the point about saving often and in multiple places, but I usually think of that in terms of not losing my work if the power goes down, or if I am actually about to do something new that I don't fully understand; I however am not used to thinking about bugs in a version that is clearly labeled on the site as stable.
But heck, maybe I'm wrong about that too, I don't even know anymore... :(
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:07 am

That's very unfortunate you had a development disaster. I've had them myself. All I can suggest is that you pass your experience on to others.

Assist starting devs by suggesting to start with simple projects to learn and reading blogs/tutorials that focus expectations. The number of people jumping into the deep end are staggering. Then when their mobile network games doesn't work it's the engines fault.

Back and version control is essential with any big project.(i've had my life saved a few times because we used bitbucket)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:48 am

VIKINGS wrote:True that, you have a point @Ashley . But looool how come you can get 20k sprites with 30 fps when I've seen other posts of people having problems with even less then 64 sprites? What is your secret, please teach us ohhh mighty grasshopper, or are we really just that bad at optimizing and "coding" our games? ;)

Yes.

Also what you described with the animation resize isn't a bug, its just how C2 does it. Suggest you pre-size your frames with other software then import into C2.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:05 am

@Silverforce I think he was describing that the crop (not a simple resize) altered his non opened layouts in a bad way, but did not destroyed his opened layout, which would imply a bug (as it should work consistently regardless of if the layout is open or not), also I am pretty sure crop +shift is supposed to be a painless operation (aka: it should never ever be able to break a project, and I think that is what happenned on his opened layouts, but it failed on his closed layouts).

if someone can reproduce that in a simple capx, a bug report would be nice (I will see if I can do it today, If I cannot, well, I will not be able to use C2 for two weeks so if someone else can)

EDIT: viewtopic.php?f=151&t=122565 @VIKINGS done
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:39 am

Weeks of work down the drain

While this is very unfortunate and never desirable, I must say this is also terrible working practices. I understand the bitterness, it's never fun losing hard work, but not having regular backups or reliable versionning in place is bound to cause major issues ; if it's not a feature not behaving as expected breaking the game, it will be user mistake, or hardware failure, or whatever that can happen and cannot be undone easily.

This could have been easily prevented, and I urge developers working on "serious" "amateur/indie" games not using a versionning system to take some time to reconsider their workflow, development pipeline and production processes.

There's a whole range of solutions suitable for all types of situations, depending on the complexity of the requirements, and with very little overhead
Working on your own and just need regular remote backups ? > daily exports to dropbox, or similar
Working on your own and just need file history ? > local SVN (e.g. TortoiseSVN) or Git
Working on your own but want remote history, or working in a team ? > SVN + host provider or Git + host provider

To minimise the risks (hardware failure, natural disaster, theft, etc.) ideally you'd want your project to be hosted remotely. I strongly recommend something like BitBucket + SmartGit, which ticks all the boxes and is very affordable for small teams, or even free for non-commercial developments.
Game Producer & Independent Developer - http://raphaelgervaise.com
B
S

Post » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:43 pm

@VIKINGS Thank you for descibing the problem and warning the community about it.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:55 pm

Things can go wrong, either by making mistakes or software failure. Keep your work safe with Construct 2's backup options and you should never lose weeks of work even in extreme cases like disk failure, fire, floods or theft. This all does happen and you should have already been keeping backups for any important work. I'm sorry if you had to learn this the hard way.

If there is a problem with Construct 2 then obviously we want to fix it, but it's almost impossible for us to do anything about it without a report to the Bugs forum following all the guidelines. AFAIK, most users are using the feature with no issues.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General