I need a beta tester (or two)

Post your Construct-made creations!

Post » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:24 pm

EDIT:

I've decided to open this up to anyone who wants to test it out. If you're going to test this out please post a response.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jusg09yhytm

Controls:

X to jump
Down & X to jump down off of a lego platform
C to swing your hammer

The lego platforms are jump-throughable

Everybody keep in mind that this is just a test level in an unfinished state, so there's a lot of stuff missing (some sounds, some sprites, the "About" screen, etc.).

Please let me know if you get any graphics glitches like the ones Vrav mentions in his post:

[quote="Vrav":3pqtxx66]Some odd jumpiness with the lego blocks while running laterally, as they seem to... shift up and down like half a pixel, but, might be imagining it....

Okay, and I'm getting the random slight vertical shifting of all background graphics when I tap left and right spastically. The pink blocks fall out individually also, displaying their modular construction.[/quote:3pqtxx66]

---------------------------
Original post:

Blah blah blah I need a demo tested out.

Basically what I need is one or two people with fast computers/good graphics cards/newer monitors to give my test level a run and see if it runs at a playable speed. It runs good for me, but I'm worried it may run too fast for most people.

Any takers?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:27 pm

=D *raises hand*

Me please! i have:
Pentium D 820 2,67GHz
Radeon x1600 256mb
2048 ram Kingston ddr2

Edit: Oh and a LCD Belinea 18' monitor
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:35 pm

Okay, PM sent.

Anyone else want to have a go?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:42 pm

Oops... forgot to mention:

For controls, if you press X while holding Down on a lego platform, you can jump down through it.

And as a simple benchmark, on the start menu you should be able to pick a polka-dot when it appears on the right and count "one-one-thousand, two-one-thousand," up to six before it gets to the left edge of the screen.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:54 pm

I can, but it's totally up to you.

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+, which is ~2.2GHz
NVIDIA 7900GT 256MB
2GB Kingston
19" Philips CRT
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:08 pm

Okay, PM sent.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:17 pm

Tested, tested. It runs great, no issues with it being too fast. Some odd jumpiness with the lego blocks while running laterally, as they seem to... shift up and down like half a pixel, but, might be imagining it. Everything else seems fine; noticed the about screen, invincibility and such, but you said that's all intentional.

All in all, it seems great. Awesome stuff man. :D I like the gibs. Solid 85 frames per second, all screens. Oh. [size=75:cxw4rnqw]Opstay on'tday ibgay.[/size:cxw4rnqw] Polka dots get to four-one-thousand, but perhaps I am just counting slow. Character doesn't jump while holding down.

I should probably have put this all in a PM.

I'm like the ONLY person here who ever surfaces complaint regarding such, but since I use dvorak, x and c are an odd layout. It's not hard to switch back, but something like ctrl and shift would be more universal. However, I am under the impression that userdefined controls are a possibility?

Perhaps this:

< arrow is left, ^ is jump, > is right, Ctrl is attack?

Okay, and I'm getting the random slight vertical shifting of all background graphics when I tap left and right spastically. The pink blocks fall out individually also, displaying their modular construction. Kudos!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:33 pm

Eh, don't worry about the PM, that's fine.

But yeah, glad to hear some good news. According to both you and Dopple things seem to run okay speedwise. I was a little worried that I'd have to learn how to use Time Delta or something.

This is the only thing that worries me:

[quote="Vrav":1jwqh0zr]Some odd jumpiness with the lego blocks while running laterally, as they seem to... shift up and down like half a pixel, but, might be imagining it.[/quote:1jwqh0zr]

This is an issue I was having with Tiled Backgrounds a while back. I filed a bug report on it. The platforms in this are just plain sprites, though, and I don't get the jumpiness.

Dopple, do you get any jumpiness or jitters on the lego bricks when you run back and forth?

[quote="Vrav":1jwqh0zr][size=75:1jwqh0zr]Opstay on'tday ibgay.[/size:1jwqh0zr][/quote:1jwqh0zr]

My piglatin's a little rusty... oh! I see. Tops don't gib. Yeah, I should have mentioned the gibs for the tops aren't in this build. Not to worry, they'll gib like crazy in the final build.

And thanks for helping out, guys :)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:41 pm

More feedback?!?

[quote="Vrav":3bqtfa2s]Character doesn't jump while holding down.[/quote:3bqtfa2s]

That's because Down+Jump is the control to jump off of a pass-through platform (the lego platforms). If you're standing on a solid platform, you can't jump downward.

[quote="Vrav":3bqtfa2s]I'm like the ONLY person here who ever surfaces complaint regarding such, but since I use dvorak, x and c are an odd layout. It's not hard to switch back, but something like ctrl and shift would be more universal. However, I am under the impression that userdefined controls are a possibility?

Perhaps this:

< arrow is left, ^ is jump, > is right, Ctrl is attack?[/quote:3bqtfa2s]

Well, user-defined is out (Construct limitations), but I can always just add more controls. It wouldn't hurt to have five different jump buttons.

[quote="Vrav":3bqtfa2s]Okay, and I'm getting the random slight vertical shifting of all background graphics when I tap left and right spastically. The pink blocks fall out individually also, displaying their modular construction. Kudos![/quote:3bqtfa2s]

Ahrg, this is terrible news! It doesn't do this at all for me. Everything stays solid as a rock when I spaz it out like that. I have no idea what to do about this. Hopefully it's not too common an occurence.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:49 pm

[quote:2f6pmi7n]Okay, and I'm getting the random slight vertical shifting of all background graphics when I tap left and right spastically. The pink blocks fall out individually also, displaying their modular construction. Kudos![/quote:2f6pmi7n]
What the hell? i dont have that bug :/
B
S
G

Next

Return to Your Creations