I need a beta tester (or two)

Post your Construct-made creations!

Post » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:58 pm

Well that's partially good news. Maybe this needs further testing after all.

Looks like I'm going to open this up to everyone...

http://www.mediafire.com/?jusg09yhytm

Controls:

X to jump
Down & X to jump down off of a lego platform
C to swing your hammer

The lego platforms are jump-throughable

Everybody keep in mind that this is just a test level in an unfinished state, so there's a lot of stuff missing (some sounds, some sprites, the "About" screen, etc.). At this point I'm just worried about the graphic glitches that Vrav mentioned.

Anything else, like collisions, player speed, and sound volume and such, is being tweaked.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:22 am

Downloading now...
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:41 am

Some screens of the bug:

B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:45 am

Some small gameplay complaints..

Attacking while jumping hurts both the enemy and the sprite. Leaving this in while increase the game's difficulty.

Movement feels almost imperceptibly off somehow. As if it's a whole frame or two out of sync with my key presses. This causes issues when jumping close the the edges of platforms, often ignoring the jump while the character is still a good two pixels before falling.

Due to instant acceleration of the movement, small adjustments to the player's position are impossible.

As previously mentioned, custom controls should be a priority as soon as Construct allows for it. What I've done in the past, however, is use INI files to reference custom control schemes back in MMF. Don't know if it's possible with Construct.

--

What I like..

Graphics are tight, colorful, and fun to interact with.

Lego platforms work perfectly for me.

Solid, locked frame rate, even on this p.o.s. laptop.

EDIT: Particle effects are very cool, too.

--

I cannot reproduce the bugs Vrav pointed out, no matter how hard I try.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:50 am

In many indie games I try, there is some odd visual bug no one else receives. :P Perhaps the card is shot. Or, like... from another planet.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:52 am

No, Vrav. I just wish we had an easy way of outputting debug information from runtime.

O_O That's a good idea.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:54 am

I like the idea of a dev console.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:58 am

[quote:21962nhz]In many indie games I try, there is some odd visual bug no one else receives.[/quote:21962nhz]

Try updating your graphics drivers, even if it's an onboard chip. In some of the testing I've done on older machines, games have been unplayable due to display glitches caused by having old drivers. Updating the drivers made it all work perfectly.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:01 am

Yes, but they are the December 2007 drivers from Nvidia's site. I just reinstalled them the other day. Pretty sure they're the most recent, and correct.

Frequently I prefer modded/optimized drivers, though... I bet, if I put some of those in, things would run more smoothly. Switching between them at times, though, likely has bugged something in the OS, or, something.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:02 am

Can you give us specs on your graphics hw?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your Creations