I need your help to figure out Airscape's performance issues

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:07 am

Just updated Firefox to V36 and using same Chrome Settings as above i now get 44-47FPS .
interestingly i turned off the auto adjust graphic settings from auto and left it on fastest
and on average game was more then playable. Don't know...whatever you do to make your
games run so well I'd like to know that lol :P
But i can't really fault it...slight lag sometimes but its nothing like some of the things i see
on here. Not been a member long, officially, but have hung around a fair while and i
think that Chrome/Firefox WILL get better...just wish it would hurry up and especially on
the Tablets Browsers. The above was with Firefox again, if that wasn't obvious. Cheers.
Rob
B
S

Post » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:11 am

@schmutly
Thanks for testing! As for 'running so well' - well, I don't consider the game to be running well at all unless it's jank/latency free at a decent resolution on an integrated graphics machine like mine, which it definitely isn't!

@newt Even if that wasn't really expensive to do, it might not actually be that helpful. For example, in my game, there's almost nothing that's completely occluded - it's all partial occlusion. Even if it could handle partial occlusion, it wouldn't help at all with transparent layers.

For everyone: FPS measurements are definitely helpful, but more helpful is letting me know what sort of jank and input latency you're experiencing, and passing that on to Chrome as a comment in the bug report.

Keep in mind that as far as Chrome is concerned, the other jank issue has been fixed. So it's important they still know that jank is an issue under these specific circumstances.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:26 am

Squidster - I like the demo! So, I tinkered around with the developer tools in Chrome, IE and Firefox and, due to my ignorance I couldn't find anything that stood out as a cause for the janking... at first. As you posted already there are lots of frame drops and janks aplenty in full screen. I'm running i7 16 gb with 2gb vram (intel hd4600) - heck, it's a gaming laptop and should eat this sort of game!

I did spot something of interest when I was using the developer console - I re-sized the game window to see at what size caused the janking to start (I also found small windows were rendered very well, no missed frames etc). I noted that the game was scaled from 1280x720 and, as soon as the game window width exceeded 1280, even by a couple of pixels, the frame drops and janks started (the dt diff went from 3 to 18). With a window width less than or equal to 1280 then everything was good. So, this jank problem is, in part at least caused by some sort of up-scaling problem with c2.... A thought - are all of your images designed to give high quality at full HD or are they just up-scaled from the 1280x resolution?
I only occasionally visit - I'm learning C# for Unity, but c2 is still a respectable game engine imo....
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:34 am

@Colludium

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, veeeery interesting.

That seems like it could be related to this issue, which I've been trying to get Ashley to look into for weeks.

As for image resolution - it's sort of all over the place actually, since I'm very flexible with zoom in this game. I don't design the assets to look good at a particular resolution, I just make sure they are big enough to look decent. I'm curious why you think that would have any impact on the issue?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:48 am

My observations are similar to other posters: smaller window is better, even at fixed resolutions. In chrome, on a 3570k w/ a HD4000 iGPU running win 7 x64, the highest rez I can use without dipping below 60fps is 1024x576. 1280x720 is inconsistant, any higher is very, very bad.

Curiously, IE can only maintain 60fps up to 960x540. However, as you observed, motion quality is much more consistant, and it remains 'playable' all the way up to the maximum rez, even though the fps drops to around 30.

What version of C2 are you exporting with? Ashley has made some recent improvements to the C2 engine, including a better algo for timescaling (more accurate dt) as of r196.2. Might help...
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:53 am

@TiAm this is exported with the latest beta.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:00 am

Another idea, as suggested before, would be to try a node-webkit export and compare. Maybe one with 10.5 and one with the latest alpha. IIRC, I was able to use a higher rez when playing the steam demo, at least 720p.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:01 am

Just guessing about the possible gpu loading with upscaling an image from a lower resolution compared to effectively downscaling a HD image at all game resolutions. Having just read through the other thread, my suspicions as to the cause are the same as yours.
I only occasionally visit - I'm learning C# for Unity, but c2 is still a respectable game engine imo....
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:12 am

@TiAm I don't see why NW would have any better performance? In my experience performance is pretty much identical. It's interesting you say that though, can you try the demo again and confirm?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:40 am

To tell you the truth, now that I try it again, the steam demo seems about the same as the demo you linked. I still get some halts and jerks here and there, even at a low rez and with 'fast' graphics, but nothing too bad. The consistant threshold on 'standard' seems to be 1024x576.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General