I need your help to figure out Airscape's performance issues

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:39 am

@TiAm I can definitely try to make a super stripped down version, yeah. Will take some time, but it's probably a good idea.

However, if the same issue is happening to the renderperf benchmark, clearly the problem isn't my code? Can anyone else with an Intel integrated chip confirm or deny my findings?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:31 am

Don't have a answer to your problems at the moment, sorry! I don't have access to all my computers at the moment but I just tested it on my main workstation and the game runs excellent at 60 fps in Chrome, full screen and on the auto resolution. It looked great.

Specs:
i7 2600
At Radeon 7950

My laptop is a bit weaker and will test later on that today.

I have a question though about the resolution change. I thought that was impossible with Construct2. How does that work and how did you do that? Any tutorials out there? :)
B
S

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:49 am

@scaffa I didn't make a tutorial, but it's pretty simple. Just set the canvas size, then set the layout scale as a ratio of the original canvas size to the new canvas size.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:27 pm

sqiddster wrote:@scaffa I didn't make a tutorial, but it's pretty simple. Just set the canvas size, then set the layout scale as a ratio of the original canvas size to the new canvas size.

Thanks for the info! Did not know that was possible, glad to hear that.

I just tested the game out on my laptop which is a bit slower then my workstation. The game does not run at 60 fps on the auto res option but the fps is around 46. But its still playable and don't notice any jank. Lowering the res gets the fps to 60 again.

This is on a Intel i7 Q740 @1.73Ghz
Ati Radeon Mobile 6300 which is by far a good videocard.

If I have the time I might be able to test it tonight on a Mac Air which has a intel hd4000 vid card.
B
S

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:53 pm

@sqiddster

how is your game running on i.e. CocoonJS?

I'm just curious
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:21 pm

sqiddster wrote:@SgtConti

Just for clarification, did you try shrinking the window down ridiculously small? Did you get 60fps then? If not, then there's definitely some stuff that needs working out. The jittering seems to mostly be caused by fillrate issues which leads me to assume it's still GPU related.

Unfortunately I can't share the capx as there's a lot of copyrighted material in there.

I attached a screenshot with the resolution (Lowest possible) and still it shows the FPS drop to 39 fps that I captured in the image ^^
Yeah, understandable with the capx, well, you could replace the art with some MS Paint stuff tho :D

TiAm wrote:SgtConti's results are particularly bizarre...I wouldn't exactly call that a 'mid-range' system, unless we are throwing $5000 alienware's into the mix. No C2 game should be struggling on a computer like that.

Since it only is (nowadays) about a 700-800$ rig I would call it mid-range. As you can get a real High-End rig for about 1100$ (Or more) ^^
And well, without multicore support it still is easily possible for an unoptimised or really big game to struggle on such a rig.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It's done when it's done"

Shadows of War
Buy on Steam ;)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:03 pm

sqiddster wrote:@Aurel have you ever noticed this problem? Or is your game simply optimized so well that it runs well even with this terrible performance? ;)

Penelope runs ok even on poor hardware now, but I had to add a "low" setting in the graphic options.
Shaders and most of effects are disabled if checked.
After this step, if the computer is real, real crap, like a 12 years old laptop, a "LOW FPS STOP PLAYING DO SOMETHING" is displayed in the middle of the screen. Not elegant, but better than the game not checking the collisions correctly.
(And no one told me he ever saw this screen for now)

The weird thing is I'm using very large images AND rotate the screen when the ship turns, so we should get the same problems.
Should it be useful, here are my project settings ("fullscreen scaling" being changed to low for gameplay, and high for cutscenes/title screen)

Image | @AurelRegard on twitter
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:54 pm

scaffa wrote:Thanks for the info! Did not know that was possible, glad to hear that.

I just tested the game out on my laptop which is a bit slower then my workstation. The game does not run at 60 fps on the auto res option but the fps is around 46. But its still playable and don't notice any jank. Lowering the res gets the fps to 60 again.

This is on a Intel i7 Q740 @1.73Ghz
Ati Radeon Mobile 6300 which is by far a good videocard.

If I have the time I might be able to test it tonight on a Mac Air which has a intel hd4000 vid card.

This is definitely an Intel driver problem because the mobility 6300 is a re-named HD 5430 Radeon, which itself is barely faster than the iGPU in Sandy Bridge!

http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobili ... 702.0.html

A newer iGPU found in Ivy Bridge (HD4000) or Haswell (HD4400+) is actually a LOT faster (33/70% faster) than that Radeon.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:10 pm

@scaffa

What is the rez on that notebook? If it's 1080p, those results look similar to mine, which is interesting given silverforces above comments. Though, in my case, mid 40 are not playable in chrome because of massive stuttering.

Really, everybody posting a bench should report their screen rez. Since this might be a fillrate issue, resolution could make a big difference. A lot of laptops are still 1366x768, but some are 1080p, and some are crazy high rez, like 1440 or more. Desktop can be practically anything.
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:14 pm

@Silverforce Correct me if I am wrong, but the you can't just compare a a range of products like 6300M with a single product like the Mobility 5430 in such a case.
It would be like if I would compare the GTX 900 series with the GTX 770.
So it would be usefull to know which of the 6300M models have been used.
Since a 6370M is better than a 6330M which you both would compare (and set equal) to the 5430 in your case.
I'm sorry but this had to be :D
"It's done when it's done"

Shadows of War
Buy on Steam ;)
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General