I want to pick a word from a text file.

0 favourites
  • 15 posts
From the Asset Store
Pick Up Items Sound effects for your game, Take them for a ride right now and you will worry no more.
  • Suppose my text file has "Hi my name is [myname]."

now i want to pick the word which is covering by the "[]" bracket.

I use File Reader plugin to read the text file and Advance text box to show the data on construct 2.

If someone know how can i do it please help me...

• do a search on Regex in the manual.. there are a bunch of functions to help you process a string..

• you cand do that by calling in the text, the word after a [comma] or a [dot] or a [-] and the text automatically will read the next word, had a capx of that is really simple thing actually! let me find it and will give it to you

• RegexMatchAt(yourstring,"Hi my name is [(\w+)\]\.","i",1) (only works when it's one word, no spaces)

RegexMatchAt(yourstring,"Hi my name is [([\w ]+)\]\.","i",1) (spaces are allowed)

RegexMatchAt(yourstring,"Hi my name is [(.+)\]\.","i",1) (any characters are allowed, must be at least one character)

one of these should do the job, depending on what you need

• RegexMatchAt(yourstring,"Hi my name is [(\w+)\]\.","i",1) (only works when it's one word, no spaces)

RegexMatchAt(yourstring,"Hi my name is [([\w ]+)\]\.","i",1) (spaces are allowed)

RegexMatchAt(yourstring,"Hi my name is [([\w ]+)\]\.","i",1) (any characters are allowed, must be at least one character)

one of these should do the job, depending on what you need

if you give me a sample capx file it will be very helpful for me.

mindfaQ

• you cand do that by calling in the text, the word after a [comma] or a [dot] or a [-] and the text automatically will read the next word, had a capx of that is really simple thing actually! let me find it and will give it to you

waiting for the capx. please send me it

• I won't post a capx, it's a basic system expression - go through the very basic tutorials, if you don't know how to use those.

• I also waiting capx

seriously

...le'ts say i have Unknow Text :

"unknown text unknown [my 9name$] text unknown unknown length text unknown text unknown text unknown length !"

how simple extract string between brackets?

(in one action)

..i can find "[" & "]" and then extract string between brackets...

or use something like

RegexMatchAt(UnknownText.Text, "[[^\(\r\n]*\]", "g", 0) and then cut the brackets...

but I can not figure out..how extract string between brackets...in one action

• Ok bro.

i set the Expressions on a Text object (as set text) : RegexMatchAt(AdvancedTextBox.Text,"[[(\w+)\]]\.","i",1)

and add "[[word]]" on my txt file.

but when i load my text file it it set nothing on the Text

mindfaQ

• Of course like always with regex the necessary complexity depends on the data you can expect / want to work with.

If the string always looks like "Hi my name is [myname].", a simple RegexMatchAt(AdvancedTextBox.Text,"Hi my name is [(.+)\]\.","i",1) or even RegexMatchAt(AdvancedTextBox.Text,"[(.+)\]\","i",1) will work.

If you expect multiple [] in the text and you want to match them all plus wanna filter out newlines, it could look like this:

https://copy.com/rITBhCmSQaOU7RCN

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks mindfaQ !

this is what I was looking for:

RegexMatchAt(RegexMatchAt(UnknownTexT.Text,"[([^\]\r\n]+)\]","gi",0),"[([^\]]+)\]","i",1)

I was so close

• Of course like always with regex the necessary complexity depends on the data you can expect / want to work with.

If the string always looks like "Hi my name is [myname].", a simple RegexMatchAt(AdvancedTextBox.Text,"Hi my name is [(.+)\]\.","i",1) or even RegexMatchAt(AdvancedTextBox.Text,"[(.+)\]\","i",1) will work.

If you expect multiple [] in the text and you want to match them all plus wanna filter out newlines, it could look like this:

thanks a lot bro

• nice if you solved it was the RegexMatchAt(RegexMatchAt(UnknownTexT.Text,"[([^\]\r\n]+)\]","gi",0),"[([^\]]+)\]","i",1) thing forgot to mention )

• mindfaQ bro. now i'm facing another problem. I try to compare the value ( which i get from RegexMatchAt(RegexMatchAt(UnknownTexT.Text,"[([^\]\r\n]+)\]","gi",0),"[([^\]]+)\]","i",1) ) with another value.

if the the values are equal it trigger another object to Visible .

but it dont work.

Here is my event sheet system:

At first i add File Reader to read a text file (Set text Text bOx)

then i use the expression to get data from the Text Box and set the data to Text1.

I add Dictionary key "test" with value "myname"

after that i compare the Text1 data with with the dictionary key value as trigger to visible the textbox.

but do not work.

can you help me to solve it?

• Guys I need sample capx for this one. Pleaseeee..

I type the word in textbox and it will search the result in text file

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)