I'm an employed game designer; AMA

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:34 am

I'd say sell your games. Look at Notch, for example. But oh well, what do I know? :S

EDIT: Distributing the game as freeware and using microtransactions is also a neat idea.velosotiago2011-08-20 11:36:11
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:31 pm

[QUOTE=velosotiago] I'd say sell your games. Look at Notch, for example. But oh well, what do I know? :S

EDIT: Distributing the game as freeware and using microtransactions is also a neat idea.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's definitely the plan. Im also pretty much counting on success in that department, but just in case I can't cut it in the business end of things, all that hard work will at least amount to the most badass demo reel imaginable, and always good to have a backup plan. Just because im putting all my eggs in one basket, don't want to count my chickens beforr they hatch, too.

And any other chicken related cliches
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:17 pm

I had the micro transaction idea about 7 years ago, when it was a new idea (only available in Chinese games) published in a game called Conquer Online.

The Chinese do it right, by offering items for money that do not completely unbalance the game and give the purchaser an unfair advantage.... unlike western game studios that took the idea, bastardized it and made it suck *cough*EA Games*cough*.

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:55 pm

Personally, I think it's a pretty awful idea. Most free games that use this system (there are some exceptions, such as TF2 and some others) are plain bad. Just horrible.

And then they have the *brilliant* idea of implementing micro transactions. What do you get? A s**t load of angry people because the players who pay get a 1-hit kill assault rifle.

And that really bothers me. It ruins all the fun of working hard for weapons, items and stats of both the buyers (they level up twice as fast, etc) and other players. (what's the point of leveling up if you know that if you don't play you'll never be able to beat premium guys?)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:03 pm

[QUOTE=velosotiago] Personally, I think it's a pretty awful idea. Most free games that use this system (there are some exceptions, such as TF2 and some others) are plain bad. Just horrible.

And then they have the *brilliant* idea of implementing micro transactions. What do you get? A s**t load of angry people because the players who pay get a 1-hit kill assault rifle.

And that really bothers me. It ruins all the fun of working hard for weapons, items and stats of both the buyers (they level up twice as fast, etc) and other players. (what's the point of leveling up if you know that if you don't play you'll never be able to beat premium guys?)[/QUOTE]

This is pretty much what I was talking about just above.

Most of the western games that have tried the "micro transaction system" does end up giving 1-hit kill assault rifles, when instead they should be giving things like in-game currency, or stat points that can normally be earned by playing the game... The end effect is essentially "saving time"... REAL time, in real life! Pay money = save time (casual gamer can keep up with the hardcore hobo's with no life). The hardcore players that don't want to spend the money get to the same end result, but can spend money if they want to save the "grind".

THAT is the "smarter" way to do it...

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:41 am

Hey, I'm a composer and I would like to do music for your game if you lookign for a good score :)
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:41 am

Hey, i have a simple question...

Is hard to be a game designer?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:59 pm

Oh wow I thought that thread was dead! I'll take time to answer later today. Thanks!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:28 am

[QUOTE=velosotiago]
You should totally make some tutorials on that. [/QUOTE]

Ya I'll probably set up a blog with that kind of stuff. Right now I'm fully into my project and loving it. I'm taking a break to come chat here :P

In the meantime I'm always willing to discuss the joys and dramas of game design with the dear community of my favorite game creation tool.

[QUOTE=velosotiago]
its either sell my own games or try the hard route [/QUOTE]

Cool! Trust your instinct, like Peppy once said. It's a hard route either ways but hard work always pays. :D

[QUOTE=velosotiago]
Distributing the game as freeware and using microtransactions is also a neat idea.[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen much model that was not for an online PC multiplayer game. I'd like to see a model that is not based on a game with an awful lot of items and balancing, something closer to my end of the business at least. XD

The "pay what you want" model is also giving suprising results, certainly if you want quick visibility on your game.

[QUOTE=megatronx]
Hey, I'm a composer and I would like to do music for your game if you lookign for a good score :)[/QUOTE]

Hey thanks! Do you have a myspace? If you like dark world synth electro and swamp root blues you could have fun. :D

[QUOTE=Vagnok]
Is hard to be a game designer? [/QUOTE]

To quote my hero: "Anything is possible when you smell like Old Spice and not a lady." :)

B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:19 am

Another question: when you are not so keen to go back to school (for either financial or commitment reasons), what are the other alternatives?

And...is the market tight? Lots of unemployed postgraduates in the field?

(I'm on a horse.)sved2011-08-22 05:22:20
...but this is mostly psychological. Check my devlog
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic