I'm really worried

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:37 am

Just a reminder. Tutorials like this one clearly states that appstores are far from the only place to sell games.

Scirra already provides informations on the market/monetizing of games through articles like in this article from their blog.

It's one thing to expect features, but don't be passive and use the numerous informations provided on the website.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:47 am

It's all well and good making a grand or two from an html 5 game but thats not a living Kyatric
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:08 am

It's pretty much the same as selling phone games in saturated app stores.
Actually, I tend to believe it's even better as there possibly could be more opportunities then in app stores.Kyatric2012-07-29 05:09:08
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:30 am

Thanks for the useful links Kyatric. However, for me there is no point if you cant get into the mobile marketplaces. I doubt that my games are ever going to be purchased by publishers... but in marketplaces with millions and millions of people there's a good chance enough people will purchase it for me to make some money. If the apple store has shown me anything it is that simple ideas can become popular. Being able to turn construct 2 games into marketplace apps (that work) is not a nice to have, its a must IMO.
B
G

Post » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:54 am

@slw666 I think you should first map on paper what are the things your game requires. Start with the most important features and then go down to the least important.

Examples like...
1. Fun
2. Smooth
3. Leaderboards
4. makes lots of money
5. works well on iOS devices(target platform)
6. Good music
7. Perfect graphics
8. replay value
9. 9001 levels
10. Better than Angry Birds

---

After this you can rate each from 0-10 according to your own skills/abilities on Stencyl/Construct.

I think this is what most people do when they plan their career paths or schools.nemo2012-07-29 07:57:00
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:47 am

We've announced that r100 will support exporting to iOS and Android via appMobi directCanvas and Ludei's CocoonJS - and both are currently available in experimental form in the current beta release. Have you tried them? They should bring native-like performance to your games. We do not currently recommend using the device browser or PhoneGap on mobile for the time being, because performance is usually poor (except Safari on iOS 5+ is actually pretty good, although PhoneGap makes it slow again), so those two options are the only ones you should consider for the time being. Considering we've also spent a lot of time optimising our engine, I think it will be highly competitive with native engines.

We already support exporting to Windows 8 Metro apps as well, has anyone tried it? This means we will be ready as soon as Windows 8 tablet and phone devices start shipping, and when Windows 8 for desktop is released too.

Apart from that, I'm not really reading any specific concerns in this thread. If anyone can point out any specific issues where they feel Construct 2 is falling behind, let me know and I can address them. I'm sure in the near future Construct 2 will be a great way to make mobile games so hopefully describing some of our future plans will help put some of the worry to rest.Ashley2012-07-29 11:49:15
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:27 pm

I think my only specific concern is; is it a good idea to design a game in Construct for mobile devices yet?

I have just ordered the Apple Developer account too, will r100 make it easy to test on iOS? This is really the only area I can see Stencyl is ahead at the moment as you can directly test on the device from the program. I know you can test using LAN but performance is unplayable at retina resolution and you can't test full screen (meaning touch controls often have to be moved to a different position, which makes it hard to get a feel for the game).

I'm mega excited about r100!!! (no pressure guys lol :)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Cool, didn't realise the Beta Construct had a direct Cocoon export! Not sure how long the Apple Developer account takes to set up but I will report back once it is. I'll be testing on an iPhone 3gs and 4. If the performance is good and it is stable then I am sure that will completely give anyone wanting to work on mobile platforms peace of mind :).

One thing, does anyone know if the game should be made at retina resolution and then will CocoonJS resize it for none retina screens?
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General