Idea for a future construct

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:13 am

Oh! I see now! Sorry for being dense.

Yeah, this is actually really cool, provided it had a solid connection with the event system.
B
92
S
31
G
24
Posts: 3,191
Reputation: 32,689

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:32 am

sqiddster wrote:Oh! I see now! Sorry for being dense.

Yeah, this is actually really cool, provided it had a solid connection with the event system.


Hehe, I see it as basically different behaviours - so all the same actions would be available - turn them on or off, etc. Just you see them at a glance and given how some could work with only values it gives a lot more freedom change or combine things.

I think a cool thing this "visual" way would allow would be modifiers, like this:
Image

So you easily set, in this example, the time something is or isn't active - in this case the angle would change for one second, then wait half a second, then continue. Quite handy for platforms and such.
B
19
S
6
G
6
Posts: 1,101
Reputation: 5,646

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:36 am

It is a behavior setting, too. IMO.
B
108
S
26
G
271
Posts: 4,471
Reputation: 151,777

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:41 am

its really nesesery to change event system? for what?
B
110
S
27
G
47
Posts: 1,887
Reputation: 35,799

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:46 am

Not talking about event system here, delgado.
B
19
S
6
G
6
Posts: 1,101
Reputation: 5,646

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:28 pm

I don't like it. It's just a more limited UI for defining logic which is normally determined by events. Whether you have a movement, oscillation or just a clamp, often you don't want it to apply all the time. So you need to be able to turn it on and off or adjust the parameters in events based on other custom logic in the game. So you will have a bunch of events to modify all this stuff anyway. Now you have fragmented your logic between this UI system and the event sheet. If you went as far as to extend the flowchart system to do everything events have, I see it as an inferior system, since you have your logic spaghetti-fied in to 2D (whereas events are a 1D list, just going down the event sheet), which makes it very difficult to determine the sequence of things, which is an essential part of the game logic.

The current way allows you to apply, enable/disable and modify behaviors from the event sheet, where it is more or less all done already, with full flexibility to customise the logic and parameters, and it's all kept in the same place (no fragmentation).
Scirra Founder
B
397
S
236
G
88
Posts: 24,408
Reputation: 194,496

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:45 pm

Ashley wrote:I don't like it. It's just a more limited UI for defining logic which is normally determined by events.

I would say - not logic, but behaviour - the logic is still in events, you either turn it on or off or adjust settings, just like behaviours. In fact these are basically behaviours, just with more freedom of interaction and visibility.

Ashley wrote:Whether you have a movement, oscillation or just a clamp, often you don't want it to apply all the time. So you need to be able to turn it on and off or adjust the parameters in events based on other custom logic in the game. So you will have a bunch of events to modify all this stuff anyway. Now you have fragmented your logic between this UI system and the event sheet. If you went as far as to extend the flowchart system to do everything events have, I see it as an inferior system, since you have your logic spaghetti-fied in to 2D (whereas events are a 1D list, just going down the event sheet), which makes it very difficult to determine the sequence of things, which is an essential part of the game logic.

The current way allows you to apply, enable/disable and modify behaviors from the event sheet, where it is more or less all done already, with full flexibility to customise the logic and parameters, and it's all kept in the same place (no fragmentation).

The point here is that you would be able to do all the same things, but not fill your event sheets with, basically, non-events like: Set setting A to this, Setting B to that, Setting C to that, etc. If there was an event sheet command that basically brought up the behaviour panel the same as it is in the editor and you could just adjust the values and it automatically would leave only the affected ones then there would be no desire for something like this. As is I would say there's plenty of "event spagetti" just to set up some mildly random or reliant things.

This is basically the same visual approach of events applied to maths, which could be quite useful for some (and probably a good deal faster than typing formulas every time). Doing a spawn object and knowing it will have a random rotation, size, opacity and promptly move for an amount of time and then fade out seems like a good approach without needing to add variables, extra events, accessing behaviors, etc. Being able to create an "independent" self-sufficient object that just works seems like a fairly "Construct" thing to me.

I realize it's once again a question of approach - have seen it before oh so many times. But thank you sincerely for taking the time to reply and state your stance on something like it.
B
19
S
6
G
6
Posts: 1,101
Reputation: 5,646

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:46 pm

@Somebody
This reminds me of Unity's visual scripting... Animations, Triggers, etc. There is a 2D asset collection that uses these same methods. It works quite well, though as mentioned here it can get really confusing to see what is handling what. MMMMmmm Spaghetti! ;)

That said, I have to agree that the current event system is more like writing code. Which I feel helps when wanting to get more advanced with game making. Plus it's organized.

Perhaps a system that combines the event sheet with this would be nice. Like double clicking on an event row would expand view to give you more 'visual' control, then when done you could collapse it back down to the regular event sheet view. Keep organization and structure... Just some thoughts...

PS from a UI guy... This looks really nice for some quick WIPs :D
Image Image Image
B
61
S
19
G
6
Posts: 325
Reputation: 7,944

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:51 pm

facecjf wrote:@Somebody
Perhaps a system that combines the event sheet with this would be nice. Like double clicking on an event row would expand view to give you more 'visual' control, then when done you could collapse it back down to the regular event sheet view. Keep organization and structure... Just some thoughts...


Somehow I feel like most readers (including Ash) just threw a quick glance over it, didn't read the text and made some assumptions. What you say is how this is meant to be - this is a setup - you set up some rules in a nice, visual way - and whatever you do in the event sheets obeys these rules. If necessary you can change them, if not they just work from the get go - keeping the event sheet cleaner and leaner and let you work on your game logic, not endless setup of things.

facecjf wrote:PS from a UI guy... This looks really nice for some quick WIPs :D

Thanks, I would say your art is rather nice and that robot game looks great - hopefully there's a playable something soon :)
B
19
S
6
G
6
Posts: 1,101
Reputation: 5,646

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:40 pm

@Ashley can you improve these?
Not everything is customizeable.
Pathfinding behavior i can't reduce the time.

When i use turret behaviour i can't get the variables for rotation.
Gamepad: i can't get variables axis and trigger buttons.
Mouse variables.

Things i need for isometric projection.
Sample capx:
viewtopic.php?f=146&t=120594 (about isometric)
Playable games:
http://jamesxxxyz.newgrounds.com/
Newest: Blue and red arrows
Latest update: Blue and red arrows

What you want in C3?
viewtopic.php?f=146&t=122050

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLE7Ml ... /playlists
B
11
S
4
Posts: 281
Reputation: 1,543

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: brupibo and 12 guests