Idea for a future construct

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:57 pm

Somebody wrote:Somehow I feel like most readers (including Ash) just threw a quick glance over it, didn't read the text and made some assumptions. What you say is how this is meant to be - this is a setup - you set up some rules in a nice, visual way - and whatever you do in the event sheets obeys these rules. If necessary you can change them, if not they just work from the get go - keeping the event sheet cleaner and leaner and let you work on your game logic, not endless setup of things.


Totally agree.. and the quick reads are pretty common actually lol

Somebody wrote:Thanks, I would say your art is rather nice and that robot game looks great - hopefully there's a playable something soon :)


Thanks! I appreciate that. Hopefully soon. I have been planning for a pre alpha game test... I'm holding off for another Node release :/ I have a jank issue that I'm not 100% sure is Node or a loop running to often. So I have been polishing art work in the meantime.
Image Image Image
B
61
S
19
G
6
Posts: 325
Reputation: 7,944

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:10 pm

I would rather have a pop up window with all object details nicely listed so all is in one place, and self extending textarea for variables.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
89
S
30
G
22
Posts: 1,985
Reputation: 20,099

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:52 pm

Somebody wrote:The point here is that you would be able to do all the same things, but not fill your event sheets with, basically, non-events like: Set setting A to this, Setting B to that, Setting C to that, etc. ... As is I would say there's plenty of "event spagetti" just to set up some mildly random or reliant things.

You talk it down, but the thing about events is you can reference arbitrary variables, functions, other events, other actions and so on - in other words, custom logic. The system you've shown as I see it only supports a very, very small subset of the "anything goes" capability of events. Want a variable time for the timer? Want a trigger to enable/disable? It looks like you'd be straight back to events. So this is a lot of work for something which is only useful some of the time.

Anyway as far as feature requests go, this appears to be just another way of doing what's already possible via events. Generally I prefer to work on feature requests where it's not yet reasonably possible to achieve the request by any other means. That actually increases the scope of what you can do with Construct 2.
Scirra Founder
B
397
S
236
G
88
Posts: 24,422
Reputation: 194,558

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:00 pm

I really like how in C2 you can click an object in the object toolbar while just the events are open, and have all the properties there for you.
What I would like is the ability to pick an instance in that, and change the individual existing objects setting.
Image ImageImage
B
169
S
50
G
173
Posts: 8,320
Reputation: 110,284

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:04 pm

Ashley wrote:You talk it down, but the thing about events is you can reference arbitrary variables, functions, other events, other actions and so on - in other words, custom logic. The system you've shown as I see it only supports a very, very small subset of the "anything goes" capability of events. Want a variable time for the timer? Want a trigger to enable/disable? It looks like you'd be straight back to events. So this is a lot of work for something which is only useful some of the time.

As said this would be useful for setting things up - and as said it is totally a question of approach - for example, I would, for example, like to make a jungle scene with vines and all sorts of little bugs and animals and so on - everything nicely animated and alive and yet background when it comes to gameplay - with a system like this I set everything up it never enters the event system which stays clean and ready for the gameplay logic.

"Oh, but you can use groups and global variables, etc" you say - yes, you can - by annoyingly going through the event system - and then you have a hundred global variables on top that you cannot group or minimize and you cannot scroll up or down quickly because pg up/dn and any other keys do nothing. And every time you want to work on your gameplay the unnecessary global variables from your background stuff pop up in autocomplete. But sure, you can do it that way... well, HAVE to do it that way as is.

Ashley wrote:Anyway as far as feature requests go, this appears to be just another way of doing what's already possible via events. Generally I prefer to work on feature requests where it's not yet reasonably possible to achieve the request by any other means. That actually increases the scope of what you can do with Construct 2.

Well, it's not even a feature request, more like thinking out loud what would be neat. And I think this would be.
B
19
S
6
G
6
Posts: 1,101
Reputation: 5,646

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:07 pm

Somebody wrote:
Ashley wrote:You talk it down, but the thing about events is you can reference arbitrary variables, functions, other events, other actions and so on - in other words, custom logic. The system you've shown as I see it only supports a very, very small subset of the "anything goes" capability of events. Want a variable time for the timer? Want a trigger to enable/disable? It looks like you'd be straight back to events. So this is a lot of work for something which is only useful some of the time.

As said this would be useful for setting things up - and as said it is totally a question of approach - for example, I would, for example, like to make a jungle scene with vines and all sorts of little bugs and animals and so on - everything nicely animated and alive and yet background when it comes to gameplay - with a system like this I set everything up it never enters the event system which stays clean and ready for the gameplay logic.

"Oh, but you can use groups and global variables, etc" you say - yes, you can - by annoyingly going through the event system - and then you have a hundred global variables on top that you cannot group or minimize and you cannot scroll up or down quickly because pg up/dn and any other keys do nothing. And every time you want to work on your gameplay the unnecessary global variables from your background stuff pop up in autocomplete. But sure, you can do it that way... well, HAVE to do it that way as is.


Ashley wrote:Anyway as far as feature requests go, this appears to be just another way of doing what's already possible via events. Generally I prefer to work on feature requests where it's not yet reasonably possible to achieve the request by any other means. That actually increases the scope of what you can do with Construct 2.

Well, it's not even a feature request, more like thinking out loud what would be neat. And I think this would be.


I'm sorry, but you must be doing something wrong then. You can make events for background animations on separate event sheet, and use local variables set to satic, and only one global variable trough which you set types of backgrounds.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
89
S
30
G
22
Posts: 1,985
Reputation: 20,099

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:22 pm

Yeah, one could do it like that, but the event navigation issues are still present abd you would still need to set everything up "by hand".

It's not a revolutionary mega feature, but rather an idea on furthering "easy to use visual game making".
B
19
S
6
G
6
Posts: 1,101
Reputation: 5,646

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:55 pm

Somebody wrote:As said this would be useful for setting things up - and as said it is totally a question of approach - for example, I would, for example, like to make a jungle scene with vines and all sorts of little bugs and animals and so on - everything nicely animated and alive and yet background when it comes to gameplay - with a system like this I set everything up it never enters the event system which stays clean and ready for the gameplay logic.

I'm not sure I get your point. A lot of behaviors already work just fine without any events at all. For example you can apply the Sine behavior to a bunch of objects and they all become animated and alive, with no event involvement at all. So you can already get that with the existing behavior system. Then if you want to add some kind of logic to that, then I think events are still a better way of doing that.
Scirra Founder
B
397
S
236
G
88
Posts: 24,422
Reputation: 194,558

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:06 pm

I like it. Looks like Unreal Engine 4 stuff with nodes.
But I am okay with Ashley, Events are easier. Just don't forget to use the Groups at your own advantage.
B
9
S
3
G
1
Posts: 128
Reputation: 1,116

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:10 pm

@Ashley

Can we have timeline animation in the editor ? Basically we can do animation like tween, move,scale and etc by just using timeline or animation feature like

http://booty5.com/booty5-1-8-7b-out-now-flash-style-animation-brought-to-html5-developers/

http://booty5.com/html5-examples/timeline-animation/index.html

Since godot has it and also booty5 just added it into their open source editor.

I hope this will be added in C3

TQ
B
79
S
22
G
14
Posts: 389
Reputation: 12,324

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mihirolover, Prominent and 7 guests