Idea for a future construct

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:59 pm

@tumira
That was part of the whole idea of C3.
A way for third parties to add stuff like that.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:27 pm

It's too "minimal" for me....

I don't like the "spaghetti" , and when you see the bar, you can't see everything well at the first time, you have to look carefully, and the icon too, too minimal for a software like construct, you have to see everything well...

construct2 is easy e perfect, maybe something can change.... but not a revolution

tumira wrote:@Ashley

Can we have timeline animation in the editor ? Basically we can do animation like tween, move,scale and etc by just using timeline or animation feature like

http://booty5.com/booty5-1-8-7b-out-now-flash-style-animation-brought-to-html5-developers/

http://booty5.com/html5-examples/timeline-animation/index.html

Since godot has it and also booty5 just added it into their open source editor.

I hope this will be added in C3

TQ

like flash? I was using flash for a long of time, and I love it, but there is something to do....

It's easy if is possible to set a timeline for every sprite, like, if you insert a sine, a little bar (timeline of the sprite) appear on the top of the layout, and you can set from event, the frame of the single sprite, change the position......this would be awsome...

with this, you can make a sprite with costum movement, and set from the event what "animation" you would like to set.... this can be perfect for arcade game,

make sprite > set animation on frame 120, if the animation go in 400, return in 120. this is like flash

@Ashley

in future, would be possible to make a sprite like on flash? Where is possible to mask,insert another sprite, and insert event?

thank you :D
B
S

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:00 pm

@newt

Yup. But I don't want to wait for third party to do that. Since we need to pay to upgrade to C3, why not we have it officially. Better support and more features.

@Ribis

I think Godot game engine already has some of that( If im not mistaken). You can add animation to the node or object and timeline will appear. I did not explore it fully yet. Trying to finish current game first. :D
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:06 pm

Interesting idea, but it is much more limiting than events and most of the behaviors would be ambiguous what they would do imo. The main tricky bit is it becomes harder to reference values you set in some levels of your node tree, since the tree is run in a way depending on what's connected. Events are simpler in that respect since they are run top down.

That said it could be an interesting tool to make complex motion equations, but probably not in C2. It would also need some designing to flesh out what nodes you could have and what they'd do. Behaviors for instance wouldn't work so well being put anywhere because they depend on the object itself.

I do like the concept, so I made a capx to play around with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:42 pm

@R0J0, awesome as usual :)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:18 am

Seems like this would be a bit conflicting with the way the IDE works now. Flow chart/node systems are great for some types of logic, and terrible for others. This brings us back to one of the improvements for C3 that most of us can agree on: a UI/Engine SDK would make systems like this possible for those who want to use them, and optional for those who don't.

That being said: I would love to be able to initialize instance variables and obj/behavior properties with global variables (with autofill and auto-name change in full effect), or even the returned value of a function.

I'm thinking of all plugin properties having a pulldown where we can choose from a list of all available global variables, or define a function name. Mind, the values aren't 'locked' to the global value, they simply use it to initialize the given parameter when the object is created.

Other random idea:
Wouldn't it be awesome if it were possible to build IDE extensions (widgets, windows, what-have-you) inside C2 itself? They could then be exported as self contained files and shared. These extensions would run as NW.JS apps inside C2, where they could be docked or free floating. Each project could have defined in its propeties which widgets it was using, and capx files would include all used widgets with it so people could still trade work sessions easily.

I'll confess I'm a bit short on specific use cases for this. Just seemed like a cool idea, figured I'd share it. Remember, right now, we're all just brainstorming, hoping to come up with some good ideas that might strike Ashley's fancy.

@R0J0hound

Love it. :)
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:50 am

The question is, can that be done where it doesn't bog down the system?
Plus given the past experience with driver issues it kind of takes things that are more graphical, down in the want list.

What would be interesting is a live preview within the editor. Even better, the ability to edit the live preview in real time.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:11 am

Cliffu wrote:Linking with lines is a brilliant idea, surprised no one else has grabbed this idea and putt into a game engine to lessen the coding burden for game makers.

Nearly all the Visual Coding extensions in Unity have this.

Ashley wrote: Generally I prefer to work on feature requests where it's not yet reasonably possible to achieve the request by any other means. That actually increases the scope of what you can do with Construct 2.

You mean like declining all nine billion requests for a native and console exporter?

Anyway, about the OP.
Personally I don't like it, I'd rather C3 sticks to the Event System where all I have to do is scroll up or down. I don't want to have to draw maps of where those nodes are.
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:30 am

newt wrote:What would be interesting is a live preview within the editor. Even better, the ability to edit the live preview in real time.

Oh yes, especially the latter. We can kind of do this with debug, but holy hell is it clunky.

Here's what I imagine: being able to drag a slider to change values for a litetween object, or the accel/decel of an 8direction or car behavior, while actually playing the game.

I guess we can do this now by adding our own debug overlays, but the whole idea of construct is to make building games faster and easier, and encourage experimentation and discovery. Being able to modify values in realtime with immediate visual feedback would be a great improvement.
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:20 am

R0J0hound wrote:Interesting idea, but it is much more limiting than events and most of the behaviors would be ambiguous what they would do imo. The main tricky bit is it becomes harder to reference values you set in some levels of your node tree, since the tree is run in a way depending on what's connected. Events are simpler in that respect since they are run top down.

Well, out to in - if we as users can figure out multiple behaviours multiple controllers wouldn't be too complex either.

R0J0hound wrote:That said it could be an interesting tool to make complex motion equations, but probably not in C2. It would also need some designing to flesh out what nodes you could have and what they'd do. Behaviors for instance wouldn't work so well being put anywhere because they depend on the object itself.

I do like the concept, so I made a capx to play around with it.

Wow, I had an intention to make a visual demo to show the SPEED this gives you but you have gone one further - a working example! You also included right side inputs which I had omitted to keep things simple.

Now how anyone can say this isn't cool and easy is beyond me - a couple of clicks and you have complex movements that would take minutes to type in and that's if you have a perfect idea of what you already want.

Also - when you have behaviours if you remove one it'll wreck the entire system, all the events will disappear and good luck reworking that. In a system like R0J0 has shown here you just relink a couple of nodes and are good to go.

Input controllers could be introduced the only function of which is to provide values from events.

--

It is great that this thread has at least spawned some discussion - one real hope for C3 would be an open system that lets you make plugins that make something like this possible and not just have a couple of values to awkwardly affect using events. C2 has many things that have been done to a little bit over the minimum - image editor, tilemap editor, even the UI of the event system (drag a subevent under the bottom event on the first try, I dare you). If nearly anything could be modified by plugins those problems would be a thing of the past.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General