idea for construct3 that is in line with it's goals

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:19 pm

It's an html5 engine, right? Make the editor in html5. Then take advantage of web tehcnologies that work well with it!

A nice case example is Superpowers:
https://sparklinlabs.com/
https://sparklinlabs.com/releases/0.14.0

It allows for a very nice collaborative online development, where one person runs the actual editor in localhost and others can join it and not only chat within the engine window, but also write code together and work on literally all aspects of the game in real time! All they need is a web browser.

This is incredibly advantageous in game jams, it also lines up with construct3's goal to have the engine work on everybody's computer and in different languages and platforms. In theory you can even run the actual editor on a tablet!

So yeah, localhost the editor. It's the next step I think :P
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:29 pm

And how do they sell it?
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:25 pm

they could sell the number of participants a c3 server could host.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:41 pm

And what's to keep someone from duplicating it, and sticking that up on a torrent?
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:50 pm

duplicating what?.. c2 is already on torrents.I bought my license to support the devs.

If it's the project of a game on localhost- have you heard about passwods?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:20 pm

I'm very wary of online apps, and the oncoming horde of hybrids. Somewhat ironic considering that's what C2 excels in...

I like to own my software, online or cloud apps are almost always subscription based, which is terrible for hobbyists - the target audience of C2/3.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:39 pm

yeah absolutely. I agree with you! I dont like "renting" the software and I dont want to have it be forced on me to be connected to some server. For that reason i dont like or use Stencyl.

But the case with superpowers is quite different. You own the software, it is on your computer- not somebody's server.
But since it is html5, you can also share your project on a localhost with others. It is in no way tied to some subscription model that some company is monetizing.
As far as I am aware the only way they are interested in monetizing it is the asset store, where developers get a cut from all sales they make.

But the files are on your hard drive, the software is on your hard drive, you dont need to be connected or signed in anything in order to use it. You just have the option to be the server. Your home computer can be the server for the developer team you have and its easy to get them to join you- they dont have to install anything.. Just open their web browser, connect to your localhost and type a password if need be. Presto, they are in the editor, its running in their web browser.

There are currently plenty of html5 editors coming out that try to keep hold on the server side and make the user pay for subscription. I think they will all fail because they are greedy and stupid. :D Their biggest selling point being flushed down the toilet. Developers dont like keeping their stuff on somebody's server they are forced to pay rent for.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:33 pm

I agree with Blurrymind. I did a tech request list a while ago. Having C3 operating from a V8/HTML powered engine such as NW.js was one of the big suggestions.

The reasons were for this
1. NW.js or whatever runs on all major development OS

2. Reyling on a DOM HTML front end means that the HTML/JS/DOM layer is exposed to the community to make custom IDE plugins of any kind

3. C3.x or C4 could be potentially hosted by a server and accessible by tablets for simpler design elements
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:11 am

Elliott wrote:I like to own my software, online or cloud apps are almost always subscription based, which is terrible for hobbyists - the target audience of C2/3.

Call me old fashioned but I feel the same way. I don't have a problem if a software I pay for has an online version as long as it has an offline too and it doesn't suffer maintenance because of the online edition.

Also I don't think this will happen, because only the engine is in HTML5 and the editor isn't.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:10 am

glerikud wrote:
Elliott wrote:I like to own my software, online or cloud apps are almost always subscription based, which is terrible for hobbyists - the target audience of C2/3.

Call me old fashioned but I feel the same way. I don't have a problem if a software I pay for has an online version as long as it has an offline too and it doesn't suffer maintenance because of the online edition.

Also I don't think this will happen, because only the engine is in HTML5 and the editor isn't.

I agree with this one. I like something offline, plus there are alot of challenges for a web based tool.
sleep is only for the weak!
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General