*Idea* More options for platform behavior

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Wanting to do a Shot n Run game easily? Here is your chance!
  • Hi everyone, i want to suggest more options to the platform behavior just like:

*Diagonal directions for gravity (not just, up, down, right and left)

*Set Bumper velocity (wait the object reach a high level is realy boring)

*Double jump option

*Moving Platforms

*Automatic side scrolling

And thats it, if one of this options are already possible to do, just tell me how. Thanks

• Hi everyone, i want to suggest more options to the platform behavior just like:

*Diagonal directions for gravity (not just, up, down, right and left)

*Set Bumper velocity (wait the object reach a high level is realy boring)

*Double jump option

*Moving Platforms

*Automatic side scrolling

And thats it, if one of this options are already possible to do, just tell me how. Thanks

To get automatic scrolling, just tick the "Center view on me" option in the object you want to scroll to's Attributes.

Double jump is pretty easy to achieve by one's self. Just create a variable called "jump". When the player presses the jump key, set the jump value to 1. Then, make it to where if the player presses the jump key while the jump value is equal to 1, use the jump action in the characters platform behavior tab. When the player is on the ground, which can be checked through the events, set the jump value back to 0.

Moving platforms would probably be pretty easy. Essentially, you would need a bottom detector for the character, one that extends about 1 or 2 pixels below the character. For the platforms, they could each have a variable that has their speed. If the bottom detector is colliding with the platform, it can just add the platform's speed value to the X/Y speed value of the character.

I know these aren't the easiest methods, and the platform movement probably should have these, they really aren't all that hard to implement. Hope that helps.

• I think he means "automatic scrolling" like those forced scrolling levels that move on their own.

Which you could make pretty easily by putting "Center view on me" on a bullet object.

• .. or an RTS object if you want complex paths

• I guess, but a simpler way would be to make a few "angle" targets and when the bullet hits one have it change it's angle towards the next object in line.

• Yes deadeye, this was what i tryed to say, auto scrolling with center view on me on a transparent sprite with a bullet behavior... thats good! Adding a "is out of layout" death will combine too.

Post your ideias here!

• Adding a "is out of layout" death will combine too.

There already is one.

• I know, but Scirra could put this as a option in platform behaviour.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I know, but Scirra could put this as a option in platform behaviour.

Have you ever heard the phrase "less is more"? The more clutter and unnecessary features Construct does have, the more harder it is for actually useful features to shine through. This feature you requested is already possible to made in a very simple and easy way, so why bother adding another simple but more restricted way?

• I had a plan once for moving platforms. Basically an object would remember the object that it was standing on top of, and in the next frame, if the object below it had moved, then it would move the other object as well. As for diagnal gravity, thats a no can do. Besides, usually if people want diagnal, they want full 360 degree angular gravity (like a game where u rotate the world) and its always better to use the physics behavior as that uses vector collections and can handle angles properly (whereas working out the angle off a raster image is always a bit of an approximation).

• I think features like double jumping and moving platforms should definitely be implemented. They're so commonly asked about on the forum that the built in platform movement should be able to do it, instead of requiring people to modify the behavior, or come up with their own movement engine to do it.

In an ideal world the platform behavior would be good enough that 90% of platform games can be based off the platform behavior instead of using a custom engine. The platform behavior has a way to go before that point though

• At least you default behavior works, which is better than MMF can claim.

• At least theirs support moving platforms (or so I've heard)

• At least theirs support moving platforms (or so I've heard)

You're probably thinking of the Advanced Platform Movement plugin. The built-in movement as far as I know is still crummy and unchanged.

• Advanced platform movement is nice, yeah, but it's a community modification. I hope they paid that guy for saving their shitty platform implementation.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)