Ideas: How to deal with chinese copycats?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:15 am

I emailed the original developer to inform him some days ago. Looks like he's getting it all sorted out. However, according to the developer (Ed Welch), the person/people who ripped him off are an organizational doing so to several other developers too. They've been around since June and had copied at least 5 other games. Again, that's what I've read and the problem seems to be on its way to being resolved.

Whether or not they've de-compiled the games or just re-released them, seems to be an ongoing problem.DiGiCORE2012-09-06 06:16:23
- Diji
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:32 am

I've heard about this before, and it's not just limited to games. There's a whole culture in China known as "Shanzhai", dedicated to ripping off genuine products from all sorts of areas. More info on it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanzhai

As for protecting your work, I honestly don't know how you would go about that, especially since its Chinese copycats we're discussing. Informing Apple about the infringement is about all you can do; you'd never be able to take substantial legal action against the rip-off developers themselves, since the Chinese themselves don't seem to be able to curb the issue (which is what I gathered from that Wikipedia article).
slap it onto the flappy bird template...
bang it on google play with all the other shovelware...
sorted...
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:14 am

Perhaps it's fair to have Apple take the proceeds made from blatant rip off games by shady devs in countries like China and distribute them to their rightful IP/dev holders.
B

Post » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:31 pm

Make sure there are no gaps for the copycats to fill. So if you make a HTML game with the potential to be successful make sure you also wrap it and release it as an app, beating the copycats to the punch.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:32 pm

Sorry but that's just Apple laziness. Their staff could filter these, but why spend money on capable staff when you can just cash in. At least now they have that report tool settled.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:40 pm

Does the .exe option actually compile the HTML into executable form? I probably answered it myself but figured I'd ask to make sure. If so then add some copyright protection. Have a registration section of the game. Have them fill in their receipt code and send it off to a database. Before each registration completes have it Ajax the database to see if the code already exists. That might help?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:03 am

@lanceal, its a wrapper. It basically is still your HTML5 game, and the .exe is a browser made to play just your game.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:57 am

Well that wouldn't help :(
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:37 am

You can code your HTML5 to make it run using the dependencies (domain, file size, validation, etc.), otherwise it won't run if is ripped off
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:18 am

Late to this reply, apart from the regular app stores, there are also "copycat appstores", which sadly command a seizable market share. On iOS there is an appstore called 91, which commands approximately 30% of the market. In other words, 30% of the users jailbreak and use this appstore.
B

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic