IE10 vs. Windows 8 app

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
The internet is bombarded daily with new apps (app is the short term for application)
  • Hello All,

Have any of you tested your games both from IE10 on Windows 8/RT and compared it to the performance of running the game as a Windows App? I am just wondering at any performance benefits if any of running it as a Windows app. Trying to better decide if I need to optimize for IE10 or if running as a Windows App will eliminate some of the Perf hits you see from IE10 as opposed to Chrome, etc... until MS gets their HTML5/JavaScript performance figured out...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well I guess this is a good case for testing out myself. Once I have built out a test case and sample project I will build it and run it on my surface RT to test it in both modes...

• There are only relatively subtle differences between the two environments and I would expect performance differences to be negligible. Some browsing of browser benchmarks that include IE10 (browser) and Windows 8 apps confirms this.

Actually, the IE10 performance is pretty great and the touch support is too. Check out ietestdrive.com and compare some of the demos there in various browsers.

• Thanks for the reply. I am definitely familiar with the perf of IE10, my main purpose was just checking if the Windows app had a any additional optimization for html5 apps. Without webGL or a Windows 8 implementation of appMobi's directCanvas to give some added performance I am trying to make sure the games perform well as Windows 8 apps and Windows phone apps without having to alter the experience too much.

I still have my fingers crossed that there will be a Windows based option that works in IE to bring game perf and framerates up to a similar level as the above mentioned technologies.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)