If..Then..Else?

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
  • Hi,

Only had Construct for one week so still complete noob, many years ago I used to program in Speccy Basic, and then Stos ( on the Atari ST ).

Have created a one screen game, move collect keys, open doors leave screen. I have a variable "keys" that debug shows to be working just as I hoped, ie increases by one if key is picked up, decreases when door is destroyed, but I need to know how to perform the equivalent of:-

If "keys" = 0

Then Bounce

Else Destroy

So that if I have no key then the door will remain locked

Hope the explaination is clear, TIA Brett

• if dude collides with door

+value "keys" = 0

--> bounce

if dude collides with door

+value "keys" = bigger than 0

--> destroy door

--> subtract 1 from "keys"

try something like that.

• Hi thanks for your reply, the real problem is in using construct, I know what I want to do, and the order I need to do them in, the trouble is that I right click here and can only compare a variable if it is the first set of an event, I would like to set it up as :-

if dude hits door

and keys = 0

But can only seem to start from :-

if keys = 0

and dude hits door

Then new action does not include Bounce in the options. I just seem to be fighting the programs controls rather than getting on with what I want to do. Have tried the FAQ and Wiki but not like a real manual. Cheers Brett

• I'm not 100% sure what your problem was so this cap might be what you've got made already.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1646976/doorsandkeys.cap

Try go through the gray door at the start, yellow square is the key.

Sorry if this is what you already have.

Also posting a cap is always helpful to anyone understanding your problem.

• Hi many thanks for taking the time and trouble to help, sadly the .cap you uploaded will not run, I get an error message saying that construct.exe has come to an unexpected termination. try to follow this:-

I right click in the event editor and create an event sprite 1 collides with sprite 2 ( dude collides with door)

by right clicking this I can add sub event: is global variable 'keys' Equal to 0

but right click or left click on this I can only find options to delete the event or change/add conditions, there is no way to add the action to make dude bounce

I can add the action bounce or destroy after the event dude collides door, but after the event or sub event is global variable 'keys' Equal to 0 I cannot add an action, only sub events which do not have the option to bounce or destroy.

Hope this is clearer

Brett

• Hi Minor,

Have uploaded the file keydoor.cap to Forums Uploads, onehourcomp,

hope this helps make things clearer

Cheers

Brett

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Since you can't open Minor's file I allowed myself to edit it a little(rename the sprites) and make a screenshot. I hope it helps you.

• Tyrus rules O.K.

Have it working now,

Any idea why I colud not open Minor's file?

Think it may be to do with my version of C++

Anyway many thanks maybe now i can sleep at night.

Cheers

Brett

• Any idea why I colud not open Minor's file?

What version of Construct are you using? The most likely reason is that he's using a newer version.

• My bad - I'm using the latest unstable build 0.99.82.

I always forget to mention my version when making a cap

• My version is 0.99.62

it was the latest stable version available when I went to the download site. Working now, well need to add a/some baddies so that dying becomes an option, but If..Else sorted thanks.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)