If you could make an isometric game with a plugin

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
The I18N (Translation) is a Construct plugin created to translate text in game.
  • would you make one? Talking about construct here (title length too short).

please vote!

• id rather do it myself.

• Yeah. I'd probably fail at creating sprites for it myself, though... I don't much like trying to draw pixel art, but I really suck at animation.

As it is, I'll be trying to make straight top-down work for my first project, which is way easier to program, but hard to make look nice.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I'd give it a shot, yeah. I've always wanted to make a game like

• I'm sure someone will do something eventually. But even with a plug it will require some serious commitment. Lets say you just want the minimum 4 directions with eight frames per animation, and animations for standing, moving, and attacking. That would be close to 96 frames... even for pre-rendering in 3d that's a lot of work, for just one character. Then when you think about something like Diablo 2, the amount of resources needed would be staggering, and probably be pushing ram to its limits.

• I'm sure someone will do something eventually. But even with a plug it will require some serious commitment. Lets say you just want the minimum 4 directions with eight frames per animation, and animations for standing, moving, and attacking. That would be close to 96 frames... even for pre-rendering in 3d that's a lot of work, for just one character. Then when you think about something like Diablo 2, the amount of resources needed would be staggering, and probably be pushing ram to its limits.

Yeah cause those old 8bit computers sure had lots of memory to spare to fit all that isometric stuff in with their games 30 years ago... oh wait

also, mirroring, done.

:):)

• I chose Pancakes because I really like pancakes and nothing can be better. I don't remember playing many iso games before.

P.S. Waffles suck...

• > I'm sure someone will do something eventually. But even with a plug it will require some serious commitment. Lets say you just want the minimum 4 directions with eight frames per animation, and animations for standing, moving, and attacking. That would be close to 96 frames... even for pre-rendering in 3d that's a lot of work, for just one character. Then when you think about something like Diablo 2, the amount of resources needed would be staggering, and probably be pushing ram to its limits.

>

Yeah cause those old 8bit computers sure had lots of memory to spare to fit all that isometric stuff in with their games 30 years ago... oh wait

also, mirroring, done.

:):)

Ok go ahead and do your 8bit game with 3d rendered sprites... oh wait.

All Im saying is you can't toss around the notion of an isometric game in 2d, like it was shake-n-bake. Sure the concepts are easy, but the implementation ... eh lets just say "One does not simply walk into Mordor".

• >

> > I'm sure someone will do something eventually. But even with a plug it will require some serious commitment. Lets say you just want the minimum 4 directions with eight frames per animation, and animations for standing, moving, and attacking. That would be close to 96 frames... even for pre-rendering in 3d that's a lot of work, for just one character. Then when you think about something like Diablo 2, the amount of resources needed would be staggering, and probably be pushing ram to its limits.

> >

>

> Yeah cause those old 8bit computers sure had lots of memory to spare to fit all that isometric stuff in with their games 30 years ago... oh wait

>

> also, mirroring, done.

>

> :):)

>

Ok go ahead and do your 8bit game with 3d rendered sprites... oh wait.

All Im saying is you can't toss around the notion of an isometric game in 2d, like it was shake-n-bake. Sure the concepts are easy, but the implementation ... eh lets just say "One does not simply walk into Mordor".

Weren't you the one saying it was easy in chat last night?

Frodo walked into Mordor. Course he made a right mess of the place, and that's why Hobbits don't get invited to parties anymore. Sauron's parents were pissed when they came home from having dinner with the other Valar. Molten lava everywhere, the house turned to rubble, great big gaping hole in the side of Mount Doom, hot ash in the koi carp ornamental pond, not to mention the huge crevis in the driveway, the gates smashed and worst of all, Eagle shit on the walls. I mean really, have you ever tried to clean Eagle crap off razor sharp rock walls? It's like trying to remove Artex. Plus Mr and Mrs Sauron got stuck with Frodo's medical bill for the accident with his finger, since he had no insurance and threatened to sue cause it happened on their land.

Bloody Hobbits didn't even bring a bottle.

If Sauron's already incorporeal body hadn't vaporized, he'd have been grounded for at least a month and his World of Warcraft account canceled.

• Pushing VRAM to its limits? Diablo II runs perfectly on REALLY OLD computers with graphics cards that don't even have 3D acceleration and have very little VRAM. That's with a lot of enemies and 5-7 (depending on expansion) different characters and a crap load of weapons in large isometric levels.

VRAM is a nonissue.

You could say "It's too much work, it isn't worth it" but that's not up to anyone but the person developing the game. You could use that line with a heck of a lot of games already being made too, not just isometric; some would say that of indie games in general. That doesn't stop people from making the games they want.

Also, it is almost no extra work when prerendering in 3D. Basically, you set this thing which sets the camera to "Isometric Mode" and then you turn it a few times and press the render button.

• Its just not possible to make an obvious statement around here is it.

Ok well I'll try to keep my posts more positive from now on... if you'll promise not to complain when the "Hords" start posting bug reports on how their 30 meg caps filled with Reiners tilesets take up a hundred megs of v-ram, and take forever, and a day to load.

• First of all, hordes of people do not use Construct and even less post bug reports...

Second, you seem to be forgetting quite a few things about optimization. Why would ANYONE use 8 frames for EVERYTHING? Also, there are plenty of games that require more animations for looking in different directions. 3/4 view games take at least 2x the frames and they're easy to run. See, anyone can run into VRAM problems with ANY kind of game. If the person making the game doesn't optimize, that does NOT make it any less possible for someone who DOES optimize.

Diablo II doesn't even have to use VRAM. It's minimum requirements are only 32MB of REGULAR RAM. If Diablo II can do that with 32MB of RAM, well, most people here are making games that take more than that in VRAM already...

I still don't see how you think everyone's games need to use so much VRAM. It doesn't make sense...

Edit:

Need I mention that Diablo II didn't take too long to load?

• In keeping with my previous post I will remain positive about things.

I am positive you cant prove me wrong, and I welcome you to try.

Btw we are talking about Construct here, not the engine used in Diablo 2, that coincidentally used more than 4 directions, and did not use full color png's. So you can quadruple my estimation of frames used, and therefore v-ram as well.

• So you're saying Construct is not good enough to do this well?

• Diablo II doesn't even have to use VRAM. It's minimum requirements are only 32MB of REGULAR RAM. If Diablo II can do that with 32MB of RAM, well, most people here are making games that take more than that in VRAM already...

Like newt said, the Diablo 2 engine is not the Construct runtime. Old isometric games that use tons of image data have a number of optimizations that make them much less intensive than if they were using the Construct runtime. They use color palettes to save space, and who knows what else... perhaps they load images into ram and draw them on the screen in a special way that works in the game, but is inefficient for an all encompassing runtime like construct. Once, for fun, I loaded all 500+ frames that a single infantry unit from red alert 2 uses. It took forever to load the preview. Were talking like 30 seconds for one unit's frames.

So you're saying Construct is not good enough to do this well?

Construct is not the optimal solution to making an image heavy isometric game. Still, it's probably the easiest and best way to go about making one, if you're careful with texture space.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)