I'll pay $300, maybe more, for Construct 3

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:01 pm

ErekT wrote:Sometimes I need to replace an object, but if it's tied to a lot of event code the only way, that I know of at least, is to redo all those events for the replacement object manually. Very tedious.

You use "Families" extensively yes?
B
S

Post » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:22 pm

locohost wrote:You use "Families" extensively yes?

Um... no?

Do you mean I could use families as sort of a proxy to avoid tying events to objects directly?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:05 pm

I love these kind of topic names :) Don't take this an an offense, but I don't think that everyone could afford that price, even if the software is the very bestest of the best. Think of the smaller devs as well :)

Btw, nice suggestions, I agree.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:21 pm

I think he's talking about for a business.
300 might be a bit much for those that are just starting out.
A real high price would likely lead to more pirating, kind of like what happens with Photoshop.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:08 pm

300$ LOOL crazy idea.....
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:38 am

newt wrote:I think he's talking about for a business.
300 might be a bit much for those that are just starting out.
A real high price would likely lead to more pirating, kind of like what happens with Photoshop.

In that case, I'm taking back what I said. :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:31 pm

The $300 was just a random number to kinda/sorta indicate how excited I am about Construct 3 and what it could be if the devs will seriously consider our wish-lists :-) I'd love for C3 to cost $10, but Scirra is a for-profit software business so I'm guessing it will need to cost quite a bit more ;-)
B
S

Post » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:38 pm

ErekT wrote:
locohost wrote:You use "Families" extensively yes?

Um... no?

Do you mean I could use families as sort of a proxy to avoid tying events to objects directly?

Yes, basically. As long as the Objects you're wanting to swap are very similar. For instance you could create a family called FamCars, put a few Car objects in there, take few out, put a few others back in. But then later if you decided to put a few Fruit objects in that Family, that would likely fail. The object behaviors and properties (instance vars) wouldn't line up.

But if you try to always use Family refs in your code, you can swap similar objects in/out of the Family and never have to edit any code. And your Functions and Events work for many object types.

I don't think a Family can have zero (0) objects so this may not do what you want.
B
S

Post » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:52 pm

Not sure if you guys have all used Sublime Text 3 for code editing. If not, you should. If you have, you will whole-heartedly agree with my #2 C3 feature wish ;-)
B
S

Post » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:59 pm

locohost wrote:4) Some way to have Object "methods" or perhaps some way to link an Object method to call a Function Event?

5) Function definition markup/tags to define what params a Function needs and is visible in Action Function call dialog

6) Return multiple values or an array from function

Love the suggestions!

A few additions:

1 - Start treating arrays as a proper type, instead of an object. We have string, number and bool, why not array?
2 - Same goes for dictionaries (AKA hashmaps, AKA associative arrays), so that you can do array["position"] as well as array[1]
3 - Pointers as a type. This means you can store references to an object inside another object, as a property. Right now you can do this by storing the object's ID, but you can't do stuff like player.weapon[1].destroy() in a single event
4 - First class functions. You should be able to return functions as well as store functions as properties of an object. This is something that javascript can already do, so why not?
5 - N-Dimensional arrays, as well as arbitrarily nested arrays. This, combined with the points above, would allow you to express things like player.inventory[0]["quantity"] = 1
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General