Illustrator VS Photoshop

Discussion of tools and resources for game developers

Post » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:04 am

There is no reason to favor one, you should use both for what they do best.

For example I automate scripts in PS to get a batch of reference shots, port the images over to Illustrator, draft up forms, paste them back to PS for effects, hue and contrast tweaks and paste back to Illustrator for page layout... and so on.
...but this is mostly psychological.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:39 am

I'm a photoshop junkie. Not sure I could really use anything else effectively. But then I've never had need for the final product to be a vector graphic. It is insanely expensive though. So is illustrator.

Gimp is a nice free alternative. But it is not photoshop.
B

Post » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:54 am

I think oranges are better. Including having oranges as pie :P

Photoshop is a pixel based art program. The tools maniupate pixels. Pixels are a set size based on xydepth. renders like a race car

illustrator is a Scaled Vector too. This tool is about using points with instructions on HOW TO DRAW any particular graphical effect. This means because they are drawing instructions there is no quality loss when enlarging or shrinking the object. however the cost is that these images render like a snail.

They are not comparible. For myself I like Inkscape which is SVG because SVG allows me to modify easily by maniuplating lines. Where as pixel art requires me to actually properly draw.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:29 am

At some point you still have to fall back to a raster program even if its just for resizing, color corrections, or minor manipulations, and even batch jobs.
One thing a lot of people over look is the fact you can do paths in both Photoshop, and Gimp. Its just that the vector programs have much better tools for dealing with them.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Tools and Resources