Image editor

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:30 pm

The image editor although looking pretty at first look, seems to be very limited. There isn't even a tool to make an ellipse [holding down say SHIFT to force a circle] (one can only do boxes [haven't checked if can hold SHIFT to make squares btw])

Would be nice if that image editor had a button to open the image in an external tool (saving any pending changes first) and monitor the file in the filesystem (Windows have shell notifications for that, don't need to use polling) to update when the file is changed (so that you could even keep the external tool open)
B
S

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:39 pm

The image editor is meant to just be a basic image editor, because there are plenty of powerful (free, even) image editors you can use and so the C2 developers can focus on making C2 better instead of remaking photoshop. :)

There's not an all-in-one button for it, but you can save your image and then, of course, open it in whatever program you like.

The manual also states that "the image editor is currently a work-in-progress and is not yet feature complete."

Yes, it could be better, but priorities and all that..
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:46 pm

Something that was introduced relatively recently is the ability to link and update image files. So, if a png (for example) image is open in lets say Photoshop, when you save it and hit update in C2's Image Editor it will also change.
Not exactly what you say in your second paragraph, but a big step towards it.

As for the ellipses, other shapes and all the things the Image Editor doesn't do, all this and more has already been discussed many times in other topics. In short, the Image Editor is a tool that load's images, arrange them in animations, set the image points and the collision polygons. As an image making tool it exists just for prototyping stuff. I find my self making pixel art in it very often though, as it is very simple to use and sometimes I am bored to go back and forward between C2 and other software. But only for making tests and examples, not something more robust.
composer - multimedia artist
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:48 pm

eli0s wrote:Something that was introduced relatively recently is the ability to link and update image files. So, if a png (for example) image is open in lets say Photoshop, when you save it and hit update in C2's Image Editor it will also change.

I had heard talk, but did not realize this had been implemented. Guess I missed that. Cool!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:55 pm

@spacedoubt , it was introduced with C2 r175.

https://www.scirra.com/construct2/releases/r175
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:59 pm

@eli0s No idea how I missed that. heh.. Good to know!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:01 pm

I think best thing to do would be to rename "Image Editor" to "Animation Editor" because that what it basically is. It's main job is to import and manage animation and frames.
But I must admit I use it all the time cause it's way faster to fill a frame with single solid color than open external app draw a square, save it and import back to c2 (or even copy/paste). :)

I paste this here https://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=93757&hilit=+editor so it's not forgotten... which probably is :/
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:23 pm

@spacedoubt , it surely is some kind of conspiracy :D

@shinkan , I remember your topic vividly. Some excellent points there. I am sure that your topic contributed in getting the link and update functionality, and for that I am grateful! ;)
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:31 pm

Message: birbilis can only post plain text URLS until they have 500 rep. 1 URLS modified. Why?
I see Construct 2 as a good tool for teaching kids (moving between apps can confuse them), so I'd love to see some functionality similar to the image editor in Scratch at least (http://scratch.mit.edu)

update: oops, hadn't checked Scratch for a while (remembered the desktop 1.3 version), its new image editor has vector and bitmap mode etc.
Last edited by birbilis on Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
B
S

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:32 pm

@eli0s thanks hehe :D
I never could imagine how useful that new link and updates are! and that's a nice start... but unfortunately that's like two features per 6 months for Image editor.

@Ashley, you thinks it's possible to put away for two days your "everyday C2 engine optimization/perfection business" and show some love to other aspects of C2? ;P
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General