Image editor

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Supports 1D, 2D, 3D arrays. Import and export arrays in JSON format
  • The image editor although looking pretty at first look, seems to be very limited. There isn't even a tool to make an ellipse [holding down say SHIFT to force a circle] (one can only do boxes [haven't checked if can hold SHIFT to make squares btw])

Would be nice if that image editor had a button to open the image in an external tool (saving any pending changes first) and monitor the file in the filesystem (Windows have shell notifications for that, don't need to use polling) to update when the file is changed (so that you could even keep the external tool open)

• The image editor is meant to just be a basic image editor, because there are plenty of powerful (free, even) image editors you can use and so the C2 developers can focus on making C2 better instead of remaking photoshop.

There's not an all-in-one button for it, but you can save your image and then, of course, open it in whatever program you like.

The manual also states that "the image editor is currently a work-in-progress and is not yet feature complete."

Yes, it could be better, but priorities and all that..

• Something that was introduced relatively recently is the ability to link and update image files. So, if a png (for example) image is open in lets say Photoshop, when you save it and hit update in C2's Image Editor it will also change.

Not exactly what you say in your second paragraph, but a big step towards it.

As for the ellipses, other shapes and all the things the Image Editor doesn't do, all this and more has already been discussed many times in other topics. In short, the Image Editor is a tool that load's images, arrange them in animations, set the image points and the collision polygons. As an image making tool it exists just for prototyping stuff. I find my self making pixel art in it very often though, as it is very simple to use and sometimes I am bored to go back and forward between C2 and other software. But only for making tests and examples, not something more robust.

• Something that was introduced relatively recently is the ability to link and update image files. So, if a png (for example) image is open in lets say Photoshop, when you save it and hit update in C2's Image Editor it will also change.

I had heard talk, but did not realize this had been implemented. Guess I missed that. Cool!

• spacedoubt , it was introduced with C2 r175.

https://www.scirra.com/construct2/releases/r175

• eli0s No idea how I missed that. heh.. Good to know!

• I think best thing to do would be to rename "Image Editor" to "Animation Editor" because that what it basically is. It's main job is to import and manage animation and frames.

But I must admit I use it all the time cause it's way faster to fill a frame with single solid color than open external app draw a square, save it and import back to c2 (or even copy/paste).

I paste this here https://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=93757&hilit=+editor so it's not forgotten... which probably is :/

• spacedoubt , it surely is some kind of conspiracy

shinkan , I remember your topic vividly. Some excellent points there. I am sure that your topic contributed in getting the link and update functionality, and for that I am grateful!

• I see Construct 2 as a good tool for teaching kids (moving between apps can confuse them), so I'd love to see some functionality similar to the image editor in Scratch at least (http://scratch.mit.edu)

update: oops, hadn't checked Scratch for a while (remembered the desktop 1.3 version), its new image editor has vector and bitmap mode etc.

• eli0s thanks hehe

I never could imagine how useful that new link and updates are! and that's a nice start... but unfortunately that's like two features per 6 months for Image editor.

Ashley, you thinks it's possible to put away for two days your "everyday C2 engine optimization/perfection business" and show some love to other aspects of C2? ;P

• birbilis most of the engines available out there do not even have anything to draw/paint. They only let you import images and used them, that's it.

• I already wrote above, that I consider Construct 2 an integrated environment and also one that could be used by kids to learn programming (via game creation). Having to learn yet another program to paint and to switch between the two apps via the OS facilities (e.g. ALT+TAB) is extra burden. That's why I suggested at least having a button to open the file in an external tool you define (like Paint.net or Gimp [or Photoshop etc.] for example) and to use shell notifications to monitor the file for changes.

• How will that button avoid having to learn another program to paint with and switch between? Kids can handle saving and opening files (if not, then how are they going to learn programming?).

I've been giving my 7-year-old C2 lessons for a little bit now and for image editing, it's best to have something simple. kids just want a paintbrush and colour choices, and maybe a fill bucket. they're not going to be digging in to the advanced functionality anyhow (and if they are, then I suspect they can figure out how to switch between two programs.)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I already wrote above, that I consider Construct 2 an integrated environment and also one that could be used by kids to learn programming (via game creation). Having to learn yet another program to paint and to switch between the two apps via the OS facilities (e.g. ALT+TAB) is extra burden. That's why I suggested at least having a button to open the file in an external tool you define (like Paint.net or Gimp [or Photoshop etc.] for example) and to use shell notifications to monitor the file for changes.

Actually, that's a really good idea, IMO. Knowing how to use something like photoshop/gimp is a vital skill anyway. I really don't think the internal image editor should have any more work put into it. Any IDE efforts should go toward more functional improvements (better search, etc).

• Ask made a suggestion over a month ago that C2 should use PageJournaling to auto watch an Asset folder(for project folders not capx). When anything occurs such as a file change of an established image. Then C2 would auto update the image. Added with the prior suggestion to set a default image editor I think this route would be a good way to just remove default image editor and replace with just the collision and animation editor.

This would also get rid of all these threads to add more editing features and vastly improve development flow. Otherwise the image editor get's the job done as it is. But I really like the the option of a defualt image editor instead fo the current one.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)