Image editor

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:36 pm

@birbilis most of the engines available out there do not even have anything to draw/paint. They only let you import images and used them, that's it.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:00 pm

I already wrote above, that I consider Construct 2 an integrated environment and also one that could be used by kids to learn programming (via game creation). Having to learn yet another program to paint and to switch between the two apps via the OS facilities (e.g. ALT+TAB) is extra burden. That's why I suggested at least having a button to open the file in an external tool you define (like Paint.net or Gimp [or Photoshop etc.] for example) and to use shell notifications to monitor the file for changes.
B
S

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:07 pm

How will that button avoid having to learn another program to paint with and switch between? Kids can handle saving and opening files (if not, then how are they going to learn programming?).

I've been giving my 7-year-old C2 lessons for a little bit now and for image editing, it's best to have something simple. kids just want a paintbrush and colour choices, and maybe a fill bucket. they're not going to be digging in to the advanced functionality anyhow (and if they are, then I suspect they can figure out how to switch between two programs.)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:10 pm

birbilis wrote:I already wrote above, that I consider Construct 2 an integrated environment and also one that could be used by kids to learn programming (via game creation). Having to learn yet another program to paint and to switch between the two apps via the OS facilities (e.g. ALT+TAB) is extra burden. That's why I suggested at least having a button to open the file in an external tool you define (like Paint.net or Gimp [or Photoshop etc.] for example) and to use shell notifications to monitor the file for changes.

Actually, that's a really good idea, IMO. Knowing how to use something like photoshop/gimp is a vital skill anyway. I really don't think the internal image editor should have any more work put into it. Any IDE efforts should go toward more functional improvements (better search, etc).
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:32 pm

Ask made a suggestion over a month ago that C2 should use PageJournaling to auto watch an Asset folder(for project folders not capx). When anything occurs such as a file change of an established image. Then C2 would auto update the image. Added with the prior suggestion to set a default image editor I think this route would be a good way to just remove default image editor and replace with just the collision and animation editor.

This would also get rid of all these threads to add more editing features and vastly improve development flow. Otherwise the image editor get's the job done as it is. But I really like the the option of a defualt image editor instead fo the current one.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:45 pm

Who remember the good old days? ;) r47, third public release of C2 :)
r47.png

Basic drawing tools comes with r97 - 50 releases later :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:51 pm

birbilis wrote:I already wrote above, that I consider Construct 2 an integrated environment and also one that could be used by kids to learn programming (via game creation). Having to learn yet another program to paint and to switch between the two apps via the OS facilities (e.g. ALT+TAB) is extra burden. That's why I suggested at least having a button to open the file in an external tool you define (like Paint.net or Gimp [or Photoshop etc.] for example) and to use shell notifications to monitor the file for changes.

Just a 'run external tool' option would fix that, would be very simple (like many requests are). Then assign a toolbar button and bingo.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:03 am

I find it a bit annoying now that for creating a new sprite
1) I double click on the layout
2) I select Sprite
3) I click with the crosshair somewhere on the layout (again? couldn't it have used the position from step 1?)
4) The image editor shows but isn't of much use and I have to load an image file from it (but I want to draw a new sprite)

At step [4] it would be nice if I could press a button to open an external editor with a temporary .png file created by construct 2 and passed to it as a command-line parameter, so that then I would just need to press save at the external editor (using shell notifications construct 2 would update the image in its image editor upon save). I wouldn't need to close the external painting program if I wished so, but I could even close it since I know I can quickly go to it

I don't expect kids to use ALT+TAB and mess around with multiple applications, neither to go find a painter program and launch it, save somewhere, then find the file from inside construct 2 every time they just want to quickly make a new sprite to try some game idea they have
B
S

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:07 am

...and it's not just for kids, it's for prototyping too, I want to quickly do some prototype (that's why I find the existence of only a rectangle tool and no ellipse too limiting) without having to use file dialogs (too many steps/distractions)
B
S

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:13 am

@codah regarding a more general "run external tool" this is a separate thing, would be nice to be able to launch such taking as params asset filenames, but don't remember if there is a pane with the "file" assets in Construct 2 to be able to select an item from there and right-click to launch a specific external tool from a context menu

the only place I see assets is the image editor that's why I'd expect a button there to launch an external image editor with the asset's image file passed as parameter and monitor for file changes so that it updates in construct 2 upon save in the external editor. Maybe there are other places one can do similar for external asset editors (like for audio assets - to be able to launch say Audacity or other audio editor), but haven't used Construct 2 enough to suggest something for that
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General