Image Size Increase???

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:47 am

Every time i add an image to construct 2 the game size increases by 2 times if not 3 times the size of the image i added, for example i made an image in Photoshop that is 250 kb i insert it in construct 2 and the game size increase by 1.3 mb!!!! this is really bothering me , because my game size is now alot bigger than what i want it to be or what i planned for it to be.

please tell me why is this happening and how can i fix it.
thanks for all.
Banned User
B
S

Post » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:04 am

What's your reference to indicate game size. If your using the number in the bottom right corner. That's estimated in memory use. As an artist I'm sure you already know that file size 1/4 or less of memory size.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:28 am

jayderyu wrote:What's your reference to indicate game size. If your using the number in the bottom right corner. That's estimated in memory use. As an artist I'm sure you already know that file size 1/4 or less of memory size.

I am using the part that says Approximate download:
Banned User
B
S

Post » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:57 pm

Everything you import is converted to 32-bit PNG. Choose a different format in the Image Format dialog in the image editor if you want something else.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:56 pm

Ashley wrote:Everything you import is converted to 32-bit PNG. Choose a different format in the Image Format dialog in the image editor if you want something else.

I tried changing the entire project it to all three formats , the Approximate download haven't changed . however i would love to know which one is better in the performance side because the size doesn't seem to change.
Banned User
B
S

Post » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:48 pm

its the pixel difference ... or DPI you are creating your image in. you need to save your art at 96 DPI before you import it to C2, then it will be the exact size you created it.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:35 am

TonyW wrote:its the pixel difference ... or DPI you are creating your image in. you need to save your art at 96 DPI before you import it to C2, then it will be the exact size you created it.

Omg thank you soo much!!!! i tried changing the dpi and it worked great!!
Banned User
B
S

Post » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:42 am

wait... i dont know what happened , my approximate download went down just like i wanted then suddenly came back up.
i am really confused.
my approximate download was 12mb , changed dpi for several images and download goes down to 5.2mb, came back a little later and download is 12mb again.....
Banned User
B
S

Post » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:52 am

When dealing with pixels DPI has no meaning - if your initial art was exported at the correct pixel size (i.e. 256x256px, for example) the DPI setting is of 0 importance. DPI is the relationship between pixels and real world units, inches in this case. This has a role for real world applications, such as printing, etc.

So as long as your pixel size doesn't change the dpi won't affect the file size, since PixelsX*PixelsY*bits is the same.

Best approach is what Ashley says - if you have background images you can pick an option to save those as JPEGs, for example, the file size will be smaller. But also check the actual export size - the editor cannot know what the images are actually like so it cannot know how they will compress for sure (I guess).
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:40 am

Yeah, but when i changed png 32 to jpeg the download size doesn't change, my problem is in the download size. i export the image from photoshop as jpeg 130kb forexample and when i add it to c2 the download size increases by 1.5 mb which is really bad.
Banned User
B
S

Next

Return to Construct 2 General